• Register Today It's free!

5.0 perf.help

keith h

Reaction score
City, State
Landenberg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Limited 4.6L
Hi folks, I am pretty new here and need some advice. I have a 5liter AWD 96 XLTw/103k. It has always underperformed in my opinion. Shifts are lazy, losing a lot of power between gears, etc. Seems there is a lot more available in this V8. It is totally stock. Wht are the first couple of performance upgrades that one should do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would recommend these three:

Cat back exhaust
KKM Intake
Apton ship ( we have a group buy going on right now ).

Good luck and welcome avoard.....

first things first- check to see if your throttle cable has stretched. mine was stretched really bad. remove intake tubing from the throttle body, have a buddy hold the accelerator pedal to the floor (with the truck OFF) and see if the "butterfly" is opened all the way. if its not at a 90 degree angle, then it has stretched. do a search for "throttle cable mod" and it will explain in detail how to fix this...

change the tranny fluid and filter. i run B&M Trick Shift synthetic, and love it. others will recommend Mobil 1 or Amsoil. also good stuff. in any case, synth in the tranny is a good choice. get the B&M shift programmer. takes about 15 minutes to install, and you can find them for around $30-40. autozone has started to carry these in stock. worth about 10 times the price, IMHO. you can have your tranny shift however you want at the flick of a switch.

an intake/catback exhaust is also a good start. if you wanna save some $$$ on an intake, here is what i did. get a K&N filter, and cut the stock airbox in half. leave the rear portion on as a "heat shield" of sorts...

welcome to the 5 liter club. you will find there are alot of little cheap things you can do to really wake one of these things up. any other questions, feel free to ask. thats what we are all here for...

oh, and the chip thing is a good idea. check out the Apten chip in our group by. seems to be a big power adder, and the guy burning them seems to really know his stuff.

Thanks for the tips James and Al. The chip and the shift programmer sound like two good first steps. Is there any conflict with using the two - ie does the chip have anything to do with trans control or is the chip just engine control?

Will check the cable too.
How do I join the group buy - never have done anything like that.

reply to the thread and say you want in...
the chip will change and shift points and help for firmer shifts.

chip will raise shift points, B&M controller will firm them up. the combo will be really nice, and the controller has a stock setting on it if you want no firmer shifts for most of your driving. also, dont expect full benefit of chip unless you upgrade the intake and exhaust.

I would install the chip and see how YOU like the shifting and then make a descision on the kit.

Good luck.....

shift kit...

is this the one you are talking about???

Shift Kit at Advance

Kinda pricey compared to what you said?

naw, thats a "real" shift kit... this one is a controler with 3 settings 1-stock 2-firmer than stock(good for all around or towing) and 3- much firmer than stock(racing, chirping tires from 1st to 2nd gear)

part #BMM-70381 at www.summitracing.com lists for $39.99 there, everywere else its just part #70381. like i said, Autozone has 'em in stock now, for $38 i believe, and you pay no shipping and dont have to wait on it...

Attachments

• bmm-70380_m.jpg
    bmm-70380_m.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 167

installation...

what's the install process like?

a few wires and about 15 minutes. real, REAL easy. one thing, be careful were you mount it. it gets really hot. Alec cut up a CPU heatsink and stuck it on his, and i think im gonna do that sometime in the future. do a search, i dont remember but somewere here alec described the install and the heatsink thingy in detail...

just bought...

should be here tomorrow... thanks for the advice!

Compare the shift kit with a chip, please.

Thanks

Back