• Register Today It's free!

5.0 swap into 01 SportTrac

danlong

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 2wd - V8
Has anyone on the board done the 5.0 swap yet? I know the basics of it, I've read lots about it. I'm possibly buying an 01 SportTrac this weekend and want to swap my Ex's 5.0 into it and then put the SOHC into the Ex and sell it off to pay for most of the Trac. Anyone see any issues I'll run into with this, or have any good input? If you've done the swap into a SportTrac, what's your opinion of it? The SportTrac is an automatic, 2wd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the sohc will bolt into a 5.0L truck and the 5.0L will bolt into a SOHC truck.

Of course this assumes they are both similar years and similar setups (auto, 2wd, etc)

I know the mounts are the same and most of the wiring is a fairly simple swap with a few minor changes. The TM headers I have waiting in the garage will also bolt up with no problem, it seems I should theoretically be able to do this swap without purchasing anything.... the only issue I can potentially see are the driveshafts due to the different wheelbases of the trucks. My Explorer still has the AWD transfer case in place, but the front axle has been removed and converted to 2wd parts, the Trac is 2wd (hence no t-case). Does the Trac use a 1 or a 2 piece driveshaft?

Sport trac front is same as 98+ Explorer
Dont overlook potential issues with PATS security?
Shouldnt be a problem since you are swapping computers but the pats module/keyswitch may have to be swapped over as well

There are mid year wiring changes so be careful here.
For example the 98+ models have a different speed sensor (rear axle mounted), and the DTRS (trans range sensor) went from analog to digital, the MAS sensor had the air intake sensor added in with it, etc

Should not really pose issues since you can park both vehicles next to each other, and 99% of everything will transfer over and bolt in, but it may end up being more involved then you had originally planned.

the sport trac will end up being AWD or 2wd with the AWD case still in place?

I personally would convert my 4r70w V8 transmission to a 2wd style tailhousing and output shaft while the drivetrain is out, to make it a true 2wd transmission, you are getting mass power loss through the AWD t case and possibly damaging the case running it without a front d shaft, just FYI

the rear 2wd sport trac driveshaft will not work in your explorer, it will need to be shortened, the 5.0L rear d shaft will not work in the ST it will need to be lengthened or replaced with a 2wd slip yoke style shaft and lengthened in order to fit your AWD t case or new 2wd style 4r70w tailhousing.

I've been running 2wd for about 45000 miles now with no problems. I would like to remove the t-case but that requires a complete teardown of the tranny to replace the output shaft with a 2WD shaft. I haven't been able to find much out about the t-case that my truck came with (4404, I think) aside from the fact that it's chain driven. I've been thinking about opening up the t-case and removing the chain, then trying to "lock up" the clutch somehow. I don't know alot about t-cases, so it would be a bit of a learning experience at the least. I'm sure that I'm losing a bit of power through it, but I don't have any way to tell how much.. I'm very curious to find out though. I don't care about the case at all, so if the clutch is ruined its no big deal. The truck has 262,000 miles on it, I don't think the case is worth much to anyone.:D It always amazes people when I tell them the mileage though, the truck looks and runs incredible for its mileage!

Well, I bought the SportTrac today, got it for $6100! Its got right at 95K on it, but looks and runs great. It'll probably be a month or so before I can start the swap, I have to finish my kitchen and 2 bathroom remodels first...

pffft keep the ST the way it is with 95K miles I would drive it to the ground first then invest in a V8 :)

If the V8 was going to cost alot, I'd say yeah... but since I've already got I may as well take advantage of it. Not to mention, when I Blue Booked my Explorer its worth considerably more with a 95K V6 than it is with a 262K V8. I'll probably do a little freshening on the V8 while its out since I don't have to do the swap in a weekend, plus I've got a set of TM headers, 1" intake spacer, new plugs, wires and O2 sensors already in the garage waiting to be installed.

I'm honestly surpised that you seem reluctant about this swap, considering your projects...;) If you think I'm getting in over my head, don't worry. I've pulled and installed quite a few engines in my time, and I'm no stranger to electronics and wiring. This will be the first time I've really swapped an engine that will require much in the way of wiring changes, but it can't get any easier than having both trucks side by side and only 1 model year difference.

I must admit, the V6 pulls very nicely and the 5 speed auto is really smooth... but there's just nothing like the low end torque and rumble of the V8.

v8

a guy on the mysporttrac.com site has he put in a chevy 350.

Me and my dad want to put an 85 mustang 5.0 liter motorin my sport trac 4wd... It has a 4.0 liter now.. Anyone help me?

there are a few people who have done the v8 swap here and on trs, its not perfectly simple, as there will be issues no matter what year explorer. the alternator harness needs modification, and if i remember right the 42 pin plug needs to be repinned. early 2nd gens require a swap to a return style fuel system on the trac, while later 2nd gens have some extra wiring issues to deal with including PATS. you will need to swap engine mounts, but the engine compartment dimensions are the same, so swapping engine mounts is about all it takes to get the engine/trans in. you need to swap engine, trans, computer, harness(and tcase if applicable) together, you cant mix and match them. and you'll need to do exhaust after, im pretty sure you cant just use components from the two trucks. I really wanted to do this swap this summer but i cant afford it.

nice deal on the sport trac though! i paid 5700 for mine with 136k! post pics?

Anybody have info on swapping pats from 2000 explorer to a 2003 sport trac. I have the key, the halo, the transponder. But don't know what wires to splice and can't find a good diagram. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back