Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

5.0 VS. 4.6....Better???

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by explorer4x493, September 19, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. explorer4x493

explorer4x493 Active Member

City, State:
      Edmond, OK
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 Limited 4x4 V8
      I was just wondering to all of you out there whether or not you have these engines which you feel is better and why? And how many parts are available for each of these and where are they available from? Thanks for anything that is commented on....

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. blk mk8

blk mk8 Active Member

City, State:
      brother
      Troll's
      5.0 is much stronger and has more parts avalible for it aftermarket wise but i do specialize in 4.6 stuff and the after market is catching up some what and there are more and more parts avalible every day for the 4.6.

4. explorer4x493

City, State:
      Edmond, OK
      2003 Limited 4x4 V8
      If i was planning on doing a big bore on each, and completely rebuildiing the motor which one would have more power, and rev to higher rpm?

Since the 4.6 is an ohc, wouldn't it rev higher??? Also be faster in a 1/4 mile?Thanks again...

5. 4LF

4LF New Member

City, State:
      Memphis, TN
      '99 Sport
      Pushrods limit your RPMS in most cases (spend as much on the head as you do on the rest of the engine and you don't have to worry as much). An acura type R comes from the factory with a 9,500 redline. Stock for stock, OHC will always be better.

6. Apten

Apten Active Member

City, State:
      St. Louis, MO
      99 Sport 4x4
      Well how fast do you want to go?

I've seen the 99-up 4.6L's do pretty well with ported heads. Some people are getting pretty close to 300RWHP without any power adders. They are very efficient, smooth running engines.

5.0's on the other hand are cheaper. Most of the aftermarket parts are cheaper, and if you want to make over 400HP at the wheels, I'd go the 5.0 route.

an example is that you can't buy a forged short block on a 4.6L for less than 2300. If you plan on making more than 350RWHP the 4.6L ring lands won't last long.

and as far as stroking these motors, they just now are coming out with 5.0L stroker kits for the SOHC motor. They are not cheap either.

7. blk mk8

blk mk8 Active Member

City, State:
      brother
      Troll's
      well the sohc motor is vary limited basicly by head flow. even a fully ported head flows only 217 where most after market heads for 5.0 flow way more. the best thing to do is buy a aviator motor which is the dohc relitive of the explorer sohc motor and build it up with a big bore kit as well as a stroker kit. you can get 318 plus cubs or you can go for the supreme setup and us a bored and stroke 5.4 block and heads from a navagator.

8. Apten

Apten Active Member

City, State:
      St. Louis, MO
      99 Sport 4x4
      The aviator does have a great intake, but personally I would hold off on using the heads/intake off that motor. They are supposed to be out in 2003, and still they haven't started production yet. There is a reason for the delays ;)

Then there's also three valve heads with variable valve timing coming for the 4.6L block. They are not in production here in the states yet, but they are coming in the near future. Everything I have read shows them to be superior to the 2v and 4v heads.

on a side note, I believe the first explorer to have the 4.6L was 2001. If you ended up using the electronics (harness/EEC) from a 2002 or newer 4.6L, ford has switched to a newer computer setup. The computer would not be chipable by anyone right now, because they eliminated the service port. Just food for thought.

Realisticly, what are your HP goals? Also what's the budget? A crate motor and a blower will get you pretty for for not too much $$$.

Brian

Last edited: September 20, 2002
    9. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      The 4.6 was not offered until mid 2002 in the Gen III 4 door.

10. Apten

Apten Active Member

City, State:
      St. Louis, MO
      99 Sport 4x4
      I pulled my info from another site, guess it was incorrect.

the EEC's that most of the 02 and newer exploreres use are not actually EEC's. Just somthing to consider when getting parts together for a swap.

11. Black Magic

Black Magic Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      St. Louis, MO
      Explorer Street
      Brian,

Do you think we could just go ahead and drop in a 4.6 DOHC, Supercharged in my X as long as were doing the chip. Anything worth doing is worth doing right! :D

12. explorer4x493

City, State:
      Edmond, OK
      2003 Limited 4x4 V8
      Actually guys I don't know if this changes anything but i am questioning these motors for a mustang. Sorry about the confusion. Does it matter?

13. Apten

Apten Active Member

City, State:
      St. Louis, MO
      99 Sport 4x4
      the only thing that will really matter is the intake height. An aviator intake won't fit under the hood of a mustang, even with a cowl hood.

What year mustang do you have?

14. explorer4x493

City, State:
      Edmond, OK
      2003 Limited 4x4 V8
      See that's just it. I am looking to buy, and don't know what engine to go w/. In my Ex. i have the 5.0 and love it. But i know that the newer 4.6 in mustangs are not too shabby either. That's why i was asking about what all can be done to them since it's only been introduced in the mustangs for not so long.

15. FMExplorer

FMExplorer the original tramp

City, State:
      Fort Myers, FL
      '99 Explorer EB
      Would like to follow this - I am buying a '94 5.0 mustang and want to start addressing the motor. BlkMk8 - you and Troll are in Miami area, right? I'm in Fort Myers and would love to get your thoughts at some point. My idea is to (over the next year) replace the cam, port and polish the heads, new intake, SC and finally stroker. The goal is to get well over 350hp by the time I'm done...

BTW - what would be needed to hit 300hp? Could that be done without a SC or stroker kit?

Jon

16. Apten

Apten Active Member

City, State:
      St. Louis, MO
      99 Sport 4x4
      now that I know that, I can make a few suggestions. If you want a 4.6L mustang, I would first suggest the 4V 96-up cobras. They make good power out of the box, and there is a decent aftermarket. If the cobras are too pricey, you can also look at 99-up Mustang GTs. They also make good power, not much less than the 4V motors. Both of those powertrains are supposed to last 200,000 miles. They also have enough aftermarket to get you to atleast 275RWHP n/a and 400RWHP with a supercharger.

My third choice would be the 94-95 302 mustangs, followed by the 99-up V6 mustangs, lastly the 96-98 2V v8 mustangs. You would be suprised how good the 99-up V6's run, I have a friend making 320RWHP with a supercharged one.

96-98 GT mustangs were not that powerful, until they revised the intake and heads in 99. I have seen the 99 V6 mustang put down very similar HP numbers to the 96-98 V8's.

and if you want the power and performance of a mustang without the "mustang" price tag and poor comfort, I highly suggest a lincoln Mark VIII. They all come with the 32V 4.6, and you can get a 93 for around $4000 and a 98 for under $11K if you look hard.

Brian

p.s. matt, there's plenty of room in there for a blower and some more cubes. Maybe we can do some experiments on your explorer in the future ;)

17. Black Magic

Black Magic Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      St. Louis, MO
      Explorer Street
    18. Fred02X

Fred02X New Member

City, State:
      Roseville,MI
      02 Sport
      Stang buildup

If you are working on building up your Stang check out the corral.... www.corral.net You should be able to find your answer there, it's pretty much a Mustang only site.

Good luck.

19. liquidx9

liquidx9 Active Member

City, State:
      Houston, TX (home) Ripon, WI (school)
      5.0 AWD 97 Limited
      the 4.6, in my opinion has more power potential in a mustang. theres a 5.0 stroker kit out now.... expensive as hell, but its supposed to create insane horsepower, theres plenty of aftermarket support for the 4.6s, and if you get a 96-98, you can swap the heads from a 99+, and get just about the same hp.... just so ya know

20. SaleenEXP

SaleenEXP Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Boca Raton, Fl.
      Mountaineer
      4.6 all the way, go onto www.Stangnet.com or www.corral.net and there are more guys with modified modular engines than 5.0's (I'm not talking about just an exhaust and intake and stuff) The 4.6 can handle a shit-load of power. Like somebody else said the 5.0 is better left built up N/A or for spraying NOS, but the 4.6 is excellant also when built for N/A and when you supercharge the 4.6 you reliably get an insane amount of power. Plus the biggest thing is the 4.6 will pull hard as hell all the way to redline unlike the 5.0 which even with mods gets too winded (like just about all ohv's) towards redline. And I love the sound of the modular engine compared to the 5.0, that burbaly/growling/exotic sound the modular makes drives me crazy it's so sweet, I love being in my friends Cobra w/ headers, Magnaflow X-Pipe, and Magnaflow Catback, sounds incredible and scares the piss out of ricers who rev their 4-bangers:D .

BLK MK8 - when I get my 02' Mount (of course w/ the 4.6) you only live about 30 minutes from me right? I live in Boca Raton. I would just trust you guys to do put on a dual exhaust and regular mustang bolt-ons because you know how to work on Explorers (your brothers "Troll" is sick;) ) and you have that seriously modded Mustang. Is there a number I could reach you at? I won't have the Mounty until about next month.

21. blk mk8

blk mk8 Active Member

City, State:
      brother
      Troll's
      i will put the baddest exhaust you want all mandrel bent that is not a problem for us. also you missed a car i also have one very bad mark VIII. also if you have the new 4.6 explorer it would be pretty easy to put the new 390 hp cobra motor in it due to the fact that the avaitor has the dohc motor in the same chassi. that swap would be one hell of a monster.

22. Macdaddy71

Macdaddy71 New Member

City, State:
      Summit, NJ
      03 Explorer XLT
      4.6 or 5.0

4.6 or 5.0? its obviously a matter of opinion, but i would like to clarify a few things. I am picking up my 03 explorer V8 on thursday, but have already taken it for a spin around the block a few times. With the 3.73 rear gears (because of the towing package), i think this thing hauls very good. I work as a tech at a Ford dealer and know that the 4.6 has always been a good motor. Except for 99's in expeditions, etc because of head gasket change for that year. But besides that, these are very good motors. They are better than the 5.0 because they are much lighter (especially in the new explorers because they are all aluminum), get better mileage, rev higher, and in the ones with Direct ignition they have the limp home feature if it overheats. In terms of just overall performance, the 4.6 can haul ass if the right products are used, and the right version of the engine is used. But obviously the 5.0 is going to have more power off the line, have more performance parts available, and parts are cheaper. But a comment on the V6's , DO NOT SOUP UP AN EXPLORER SOHC V6. they are not durable. And also, the new explorers DO have a service port, and i know JET chips makes a chip for the V6 and V8, and superchips makes a programmer.

23. Apten

Apten Active Member

City, State:
      St. Louis, MO
      99 Sport 4x4
      not to start a war, I only mean to debate things on friendly terms.

I just checked, and neither superchips nor JET have chips or programmers for PTEC system. Check superchips website, they say "coming soon". Same goes for hypertec. I e-mailed Jet and they said the same. Some of the 02 explorers use the PTEC instead of the EEC, along with 02 thunderbirds and some 03 Lincoln LS's and others. Some 02 explorers have EEC's instead of the PTEC module, maybe that is what you have seen.

The PTEC does have a port, but it's quite different than the service port that EEC's have (both IV and V). From what I have, I don't see an easy way to plug a chip into the PTEC's. You can hookup some ford equipment and flash them to change the programming, but that's a bit more involved.

The PTEC is a completley different generation of engine managment computers. It has 4mb of RAM and actually runs on a powerpc platform. It is much more sohisticated than the EEC-V's that are still used in many new ford models.

as far as the v6's go, I only have real experience with the 3.8L pushrod V6's. Those are pretty durable. I will be dyno tuning 3 this weekend, and I know one will see 300RWHP on the stock bottom end.