Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

5.0HO Resources/Advice

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by CodePoet, August 4, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. CodePoet

CodePoet Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Indianapolis, Indiana
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1993 XLT
      Hey all. I'm thinking about starting a rebuild for a 5.0 HO basket case I have sitting in the garage for the 93 expo. The heads have been stripped and I have no cam other than that though it's complete (in pieces). So I want to head to the pull a part yard and start getting some of the missing parts. I was wondering about heads. There are a ton of 2nd gen v8's there and i'd like to know a little about the gt40 heads on the HO engine and possibly even the expo cam. Would there be worse performance with this setup? I do plan on doing some head work as well. There's so much information out there it's hard to know where to start and I just want to get started out on the right foot!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. techieman33

techieman33 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Topeka, KS
      00 V8 Mountaineer
      The explorer cam SUCKS, if you wanting to do it on the cheap with junkyard parts I would get an HO cam and GT40p heads from a late 2nd gen explorer, get the explorers intake manifold while your pulling parts as well. I would guess that would put you in the 240hp range.

4. CodePoet

CodePoet Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Indianapolis, Indiana
      1993 XLT
      Yeah i was thinking i'd pull the intake as well after reading a bit on other forums. I'm not in a rush for this so i'm gonna try my hand at porting the heads myself (i have a spare set I can practice on), pretty much just a gasket match. Any other cars come with the 5.0 HO? There doesn't seem to be a ton of mustangs at the yard I go to.

5. techieman33

techieman33 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Topeka, KS
      00 V8 Mountaineer
      You should be able to pick up an HO cam on one of the mustang forums, there are lots of them floating around.