1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

5.0L Explorer trans/Tcase

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Captain AirTime, December 21, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Captain AirTime

Captain AirTime Active Member

City, State:
      Campbell River BC Canada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 XLT
      I might have found a solution to my A4LD problem :eek:
      My local Ford wrecker called me this afternoon to inform me of a new arrival (gotta like that, huh?) a V8 Exploder. So how about a 5.0L/4R70W to replace that POS A4LD? Blows my 'I like the 4.0 L just fine' theory all to hell, but in the long run, it will cost less than a new 700R4 and adapters... Besides, I can sell the 4.0L ;) Anyway, before I go jumping at this, I need to know what I've got.
      Am I right in assuming that the transmission is a 4R70W or whatever the AOD turned into?
      what about the transfercase? is it a fullsize derivative, or a 1354 size unit? I'm not interested particularly in AWD, so it probably has to go, I just need to know what to replace it with.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Captain AirTime

City, State:
      Campbell River BC Canada
      98 XLT
      OK, I found what I was looking for. anyone know how good the lockup is in the 4404? is it reliable?

4. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      replacing the 4.0 in your old explorer with the 5.0... is that your plan? Don't forget all the harness and the computer will have to be changed too. Electronics are wonderful, but they make swaps a PITA.

5. Captain AirTime

City, State:
      Campbell River BC Canada
      98 XLT
      I've got a half dozen EFI swaps under my belt, and 3 of them were 5.0's, so I'm not terribly worried about it ;-) I do like 5.0's, I think I just convinced myself that the 4.0 was enough. who was I kidding :D Anyway, its just an idea, he may want way too much cake for the setup.

I just talked to another friend who is a mechanic as well, and same answer: 99.9% chance I destroyed the pump by my unusual instalation technique :rolleyes: Now I'm all hyped for a V8 again! woohoo! my 5.0 Ranger was a blast. T5, 4.10's and 31" tires. full cage, and 2800LB. 2wd, 15" wheel travel. The exploder will be a little more mellow, but easier to drive. the Ranger would do donuts just mashing the gas when rolling in first gear. I miss it sometimes :D

6. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      The 4404 is a very reliable transfer case. I've ran a couple of them in my Explorer and none have given me problems. It's rare to hear of an AWD case going out.

7. Captain AirTime

City, State:
      Campbell River BC Canada
      98 XLT
      does it have a 4-llow-lock position? what ARE the selections available?

8. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      None. Full time AWD.

9. Captain AirTime

City, State:
      Campbell River BC Canada
      98 XLT
      Ewww! that will have to go, then. I've got nothing against AWD as an OPTION, but that sucks. I need low range and 2wd. I guess its try to stuff a 1356 in there or an adapter and the 1354. Tomorrow I find out if its a financially viable project...

10. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      Hahahahaha well dont forget, there is alot more to i then just the advanced adapter piece ($500) and the donor vehicle, trust me I know...I am doing the same right now, it gets expensive real quick so you gotta have it all laid out from the start. Little things like fuel pump, oil filter re-locate, raw materials for trans x member modification, belt, hoses, fluids, plugs, :)

I always loved my OHV 4.0L, but I am sick of the A4LD and I need OD, I tow alot so I am going 5.0L, but I am also converting to OBD-II at the same time :)

11. Captain AirTime

City, State:
      Campbell River BC Canada
      98 XLT
      BTDT many times...
      the 4.0 fuel pump is fine for the 5L. So is the 2.9 and 2.3 etc. they are the same. If you add a turbo or something you might want to upgrade.
      anyway, the 5.0 deal price wasn't good enough, so I'm stuck with the 4.0L A4LD for now :( Down the road I'm going to keep an eye out for a complete 5.0/4R70W Exploder to work from, rather than the 700R4 idea I was kicking around earlier. The A4LD will just have to last until I can swing it. I ALMOST went for the 5.0 T5 deal, $$ was good enough, but a quick call to AA revealed that they STILL don't have the adapter for the T5-1354, and may never have again. I think I got one of the last ones this fall for my other project.

12. 97BlackX5.0

97BlackX5.0 Active Member

City, State:
      Scipio, Indiana
      97 X XLT AWD
      you could probably get a tcase out of a f150 with manual shift and get it in there if you dont mind cutting a hole in the floor for the shifeter and lengthing drivshafts..... the 4404 has held up well for me.... ive missed the low range once ... in deep sand..... other than that id have to say it will go anywhere a 4x4 would.... *it still needs a front locker though and no one offers that stock in anything* just curious but how much did they want for the wrecked drivetrain like you were talking about....

13. Captain AirTime

City, State:
      Campbell River BC Canada
      98 XLT
      motor, trans, harness,computer, 1356 and whatever driveshaft parts I wanted to make it work for CDN$3000. That was my upper limit going in, but I thought it was a complete vehicle I could pull from. I'm not interested in mixing and matching and 'probably' having everything I need. The motor is REALLY clean, no indication of milage, but it can't be much. I REALLLLY want it, but $$$... Maybe I'll go back and get just the motor, if I can get it for a good price, and deal with the rest at a later date. Although that might be why I have 5 different motors in my garage for projects I 'might' get around to LOL!

14. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Why not "settle" for the later V6 SOHC with the 4405 transfer case you'd like? If you are comfortable with a big swap, use the V6 becuse the 4x4 transfer cases have the low range you want.

Example: I bought a complete rolled 99 Limited 4x4 SOHC for $1500(minus seats, door panels, radio, air bags, wheels). The funny thing is that you want the transfer case I have, but I want the AWD. Good luck,
      DonW

15. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      I would never even consider the SOHC as a swap. The trannies are still junk, the motors aren't nearly bullit proof as the 5.0's, and to a slightly lesser degree 4.0 ohv's. Plus the 4405 t case isn't overly stout, and with any serious offroad will will be junk.

16. Captain AirTime

City, State:
      Campbell River BC Canada
      98 XLT
      Well, the 5.0 setup was too expensive, but I think I'll keep my eye out for one in future. My original plan was for SOHC, but they are more scarce and more money than a 5.0L around here. I solved my current dillema last night tho. 2002 M5OD-R1HD. Just have to round up the miscellaneous bits for the swap and hopefully I can put it in when I get home just before new years.
      My prvious Ranger 5.0 swap made me less keen on it for the explorer, but after looking at the explorer 5.0, it seems mugh easier. It looks like the motor mount plates, exhaust manifolds and accessories will make it a near bolt in, compared to the hoops I jumped through with the Mustang one. For now I'll be quite happy with my newer OHV 4.0 and a nice new trans. I love the way my Ranger drives, and this should be even better, if not the fun of the V8.

17. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      Yes the front dress, the exhaust manifolds, and just about everything on the 5.0L Explorer 5.0L is made to fit in a Gen I Explorer. Yuo will ahve to use some custom motor mounts (read L&L products) use a remote oil filter kit, and use the Advanced adapters T case adapter to go with the BW 1354 T case or skip this and go straight to the Atlas II.......

I purchased a complete 97 Explorer 5.0L drivetrain from radiator to driveshaft for $1500 with 53K miles on it....

18. Captain AirTime

City, State:
      Campbell River BC Canada
      98 XLT
      Do the explorer accessories fit with a stock Explorer (gen1) radiator? In my Ranger with the Mustang setup I recessed a custom rad flush into the core support, and had tons of room, But I'm not sure I want to go through that again... The motor mount plates on the X5.0 looked very much like the ones I made for my ranger to fit on the OEM 4cyl mounts. Regardless, I make my own stuff where possible unless it is ridiculously cheap. Most of the stuff for sale is on the poor side of quality for what you pay.
      Did you get your 5.0 from a wrecker or privately?

19. tmsoko

tmsoko Active Member

City, State:
      Plymouth, MI
      2010 Adrenalin
      THe explorer FEAD is the shortest of all 5.0L accessory packages. In the factory V8 explorers, they fit a 2" radiator with then 5.0L engine and a metal engine driven fan. Tight, but acceptable.

As for transfercase, check out my www page for some pictures of a 4406 (expedition t-case trial fit in my 1999 Ranger 4x4 extended cab with explorer V8. Very tight but workable. I never did it for fear of dropping a u-joint at the drag strip and slamming the shaft into the fuel tank!

20. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Todd, any progress on the Explorer 302 headers?
      Don

21. tmsoko

tmsoko Active Member

City, State:
      Plymouth, MI
      2010 Adrenalin
      Actually, forthe first time in 1 1/2 years, I can say YES! I have been working on them over the last week. I have the driver's side nearly done and will be working on passenger's side Tuesday/Wednesday. Here is a picture of the driver's side:

[​IMG]

I can tell you one thing, I will never do this again! Well almost never - I am getting 1 3/4" stainless bends to duplicate this on Monday. This is the most pain in the butt, time consuming project i have undertaken! I have re-made each run probably 3-4 times tryng to get everthing to fit. Bolted on each primary and removed probably 40-50 times as I size and tweek each bend, weld, etc.. I will post more pictures once complete.

22. liquidx9

liquidx9 Active Member

City, State:
      Houston, TX (home) Ripon, WI (school)
      5.0 AWD 97 Limited
      hey, if you end up going this route and want to sell the 4404 transfer case let me know