• Register Today It's free!

5.0L performance upgrades.

spechaled

Reaction score
City, State
Mounds Veiw Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer xlt
hey every 1 i curently own a 2000 ford explorer xlt with the 5.0 V8 and i know they use the same motors in the mustang but changed out the cam shaft for the extra wheight of the explorer my question is can i take performance parts from the 5.0 mustang and throw them on the explorer any help would be great

ps any 1 know how big of tires i can go with a stock ride height

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey every 1 i curently own a 2000 ford explorer xlt with the 5.0 V8 and i know they use the same motors in the mustang but changed out the cam shaft for the extra wheight of the explorer my question is can i take performance parts from the 5.0 mustang and throw them on the explorer any help would be great

ps any 1 know how big of tires i can go with a stock ride height

There are many differences between the Mustang & Explorer 5.0. The only thing the same is the block. The Explorer intake is the GT40 so no need to change it.

To answer you question.

No you can not use any Mustang peformance parts on an Explorer/Mountainner engine.

welcome...check out the rims and tires forum for the biggest tire question ita a sticky...

Some camshafts interchange (that's a pretty broad statement that isn't true in all cases...so be careful) but you can kill the bottom end torque very easily. There are a few running the E cam successfully, but I suspect there are much better performers out there than that one for the Explorer.

Heads on the Explorer are designed for the Explorer. They are designed to help bottom end torque.

Intake uses the GT40 LOWER intake only. It is not a true GT40 upper. That would kill torque...if you could even find one these days.

Most stock 5.0's these days are what is called a 50 oz balance motor. Earlier motors are 28 oz motors. Most strokers are 28 oz. You have to make sure you have the matching balancer and flywheel.

The list goes on and on like that. A lot will work, a lot won't. But I can't wait to toss on a set of AFR 165's or 185's. On a stock 5.0 (not stroked), I'm betting the 165's will really shine.

Anyone running an engine chip? Im looking to get a scanguage, mostly to be able to monitor how she is running

SCT Chip

I purchased the SCT Tuner and being in the aftermarket parts and accessories industry selling Superchips, Hypertech, Edge (gas) OBD2 plug in modules, the SCT Tuner is not even in the same ballpark as for any other gas downloaders! First thing it is Wi-Fi and will constantly update your tuner whenever its close to your network. Second it has the ability to store up to 10 Tunes, as well as keeping your stock tune - so when or if you go to a Dyno that is aSCTDealer, they can make you custom tunes using their equipment and change fuel tables/Map's, ect and save it to your tuner.So if you have money and want to REALLY SEE what that exhaust system, or the almost $1000 set of headers gave you to the wheels, the Dyno doesn't lie.

If your looking for just a plug in and use one of the three pre loaded files, which are based on fuel octane but as the instructions say the 87 is more for fuel economy, 91 is for towing performance and 93 is for all you can get.

Having used every other tuner but an SCT it started to look like the same as all the rest, until I chose my fuel selection of 91 (because we dont have 93 in CA or I would of) it started asking some of the basic features of all of the rest of the tuners like, raise top speed, add shift firmness, add +/- MPH to each shift point - but that was the only thing they have in common with any other tuner.Next it ask's if I would like to change my M.A.F settings, Retard spark in intervals of 1000-2500, 2500-4000, ect. it asked if I would like to turn off rear O2 sensors as well as EGR.

This tuner seems to me to be basically set up for Supercharged or Turbocharged engines but I recommend if you don't know what your doing research it! Because I imagine some of the settings matched with some of the others could cause problems.

Anyway it also has a great data readout which you can get a mount to put on your dash, or somewhere which has instant readouts like coolant temp, incoming air temp, % of load- and many more. It's also a code reader so you can check for any DTC's get the codes see what they correspond to then you have the option to clear them yourself.

ALL in All I think this was a great purchase- I got my Tuner brand new in two days from Amazon for $329.00- which I couldn't pass up! I give a total thumbs up to SCTfor actually offering something for our vehicles. LoL As well as a product that has so many options and room to build upon!

Actually there is a company out of CA called Damper Dudes that takes a stock 50 Oz balancer and modifies it to 28 Oz for a stroker engine if you go that way.

I have one installed on my 331 but the engine is not installed in the truck yet.

I purchased the SCT Tuner and being in the aftermarket parts and accessories industry selling Superchips, Hypertech, Edge (gas) OBD2 plug in modules, the SCT Tuner is not even in the same ballpark as for any other gas downloaders! First thing it is Wi-Fi and will constantly update your tuner whenever its close to your network. Second it has the ability to store up to 10 Tunes, as well as keeping your stock tune - so when or if you go to a Dyno that is aSCTDealer, they can make you custom tunes using their equipment and change fuel tables/Map's, ect and save it to your tuner.So if you have money and want to REALLY SEE what that exhaust system, or the almost $1000 set of headers gave you to the wheels, the Dyno doesn't lie.

If your looking for just a plug in and use one of the three pre loaded files, which are based on fuel octane but as the instructions say the 87 is more for fuel economy, 91 is for towing performance and 93 is for all you can get.

Having used every other tuner but an SCT it started to look like the same as all the rest, until I chose my fuel selection of 91 (because we dont have 93 in CA or I would of) it started asking some of the basic features of all of the rest of the tuners like, raise top speed, add shift firmness, add +/- MPH to each shift point - but that was the only thing they have in common with any other tuner.Next it ask's if I would like to change my M.A.F settings, Retard spark in intervals of 1000-2500, 2500-4000, ect. it asked if I would like to turn off rear O2 sensors as well as EGR.

This tuner seems to me to be basically set up for Supercharged or Turbocharged engines but I recommend if you don't know what your doing research it! Because I imagine some of the settings matched with some of the others could cause problems.

Anyway it also has a great data readout which you can get a mount to put on your dash, or somewhere which has instant readouts like coolant temp, incoming air temp, % of load- and many more. It's also a code reader so you can check for any DTC's get the codes see what they correspond to then you have the option to clear them yourself.

ALL in All I think this was a great purchase- I got my Tuner brand new in two days from Amazon for $329.00- which I couldn't pass up! I give a total thumbs up to SCTfor actually offering something for our vehicles. LoL As well as a product that has so many options and room to build upon!

Seeing as SCT makes a few tuners, which one did you use on your EX?

Actually there is a company out of CA called Damper Dudes that takes a stock 50 Oz balancer and modifies it to 28 Oz for a stroker engine if you go that way.

I have one installed on my 331 but the engine is not installed in the truck yet.

I have one as well for my 347 I'm building for my 68 Torino. Nice piece of work.

Back