50 Horsepower For 5 Cents............ | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

50 Horsepower For 5 Cents............

Confirm the problem first....worry about cost later

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never heard of nitrous on a stock vehicle, let alone an explorer.

Wow someone needs to look in the need for speed section a little more. :D:thumbsup: Nitrous is very common on stock and close to stock vehicles. There are more than a few Explorer's that would fit that description that have run nitrous as well. Most people don't understand nitrous enough and mainly due to that is where it gets its bad rap.

put a jack to hold my pedal to the floor, throttle body wasnt even open enough to stick my finger through it! FOUR zipties later my throttle response is so much better, feels like i added a turbo :p

put a jack to hold my pedal to the floor, throttle body wasnt even open enough to stick my finger through it! FOUR zipties later my throttle response is so much better, feels like i added a turbo :p

:)

i knew about this mod for a few months...was like yea w/e im sure that it would really affect anything

so i got real bored one night and did it

all i can say is WOW
i have a 92 1st gen eb

....... and now it has a turbo at the cost of a few zipties.

For the less intelligent people out there I am just joking. You cannot all of a sudden get a turbo charger from pulling the slack out of your throttle cable.

man i would have never checked this,did it last night man it really does make a difference,big time!!!!great mod :)

man i would have never checked this,did it last night man it really does make a difference,big time!!!!great mod :)

Has made a difference on all of my vehicles, thats for sure.

I'm going to throw this one out into the mix..

Went and checked on mine, heres what I found..

dsc01871rye.jpg

So, I have a spring on the pedal, aand at the throttle body. uhh anything I can do about that!? can I take the nut off the end of the cable and remove the spring?

EDIT** - nevermind, my Explorer still makes it to WOT somehow, i'll leave the picture for refrences though

dsc01871rye.jpg

So, I have a spring on the pedal, aand at the throttle body. uhh anything I can do about that!? can I take the nut off the end of the cable and remove the spring?

EDIT** - nevermind, my Explorer still makes it to WOT somehow, i'll leave the picture for refrences though

all ex i think have those springs but you still have alot of slack in that,i would still do it

here is a good pic
2zsb8fm.jpg

still could use another one

no im not just being a smartass, i really need to know how much a timing chain fix is, thats got ot be the problem, theres nothing else it could be, i mean like taking it somehwere to get it fixed, not a diy project

no im not just being a smartass, i really need to know how much a timing chain fix is, thats got ot be the problem, theres nothing else it could be, i mean like taking it somehwere to get it fixed, not a diy project

New timing chain and tensioners with labor at a dealership on the v6 sohc will prolly run you close to or over $1000.

Mom and pop shop might do it for a few hundred cheaper.

dsc01871rye.jpg

That spring is an awesome idea. Looks like it would work as long as theres still slack so it doesn't affect the idle.

yea ide be taking it to a mom and pop shop, but there parents friends and do lagit work, i just wanted the cheapest way out so there would be more money for other things. cause if they job 800+ on the engine now i wouldnt get aanything on the car upgraded for a while, the parents have paid for all my audio equipment and its hard to get a buck out of them as it is

Mines got a spring on the cable too, and I still had slack...only took one zip tie when I did mine

That spring is an awesome idea. Looks like it would work as long as theres still slack so it doesn't affect the idle.

That was not put there by me. My friend's '97 Ex does NOT have the spring, what's the deal with that? He has a SOHCand i've got the OHV so that may be the difference...

The pedal on my Ex is 10x more squishy than any other car/truck i've driven, and I contribute it to the spring...

Anyone know why the heck ford did this? lame.

and at WOT my throttle valve is at about 85-90%, would it be worth adding the zip tie?

Sure....itll be stiffer with the ziptie

Its worth a try

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mines got a spring on the cable too, and I still had slack...only took one zip tie when I did mine

Musta been stretched bad.

That was not put there by me. My friend's '97 Ex does NOT have the spring, what's the deal with that? He has a SOHCand i've got the OHV so that may be the difference...

The pedal on my Ex is 10x more squishy than any other car/truck i've driven, and I contribute it to the spring...

Anyone know why the heck ford did this? lame.

and at WOT my throttle valve is at about 85-90%, would it be worth adding the zip tie?

Only if you want the extra 10-15% power :)

Sure....itll be stiffer with the ziptie

Its worth a try

Yup.

Back