50 Horsepower For 5 Cents............ | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

50 Horsepower For 5 Cents............

Ok. Done. 3 zipties took the slack out without making it too tight. Idles good and way more responsive. I hadn't notced a lot of first gen responses. First gen, mine anyways, kickdown and throttle are side by side. Thanks a lot guys! Can't wait to drive home after work and see the improvement in throttle response!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok. Done. 3 zipties took the slack out without making it too tight. Idles good and way more responsive. I hadn't notced a lot of first gen responses. First gen, mine anyways, kickdown and throttle are side by side. Thanks a lot guys! Can't wait to drive home after work and see the improvement in throttle response!!

Make sure to post back and let us know! :)

Sweet! My truck responds immediately when I touch the gas. I will have to adjust myself to it for driving in the rain. I see some spinning tires after the first few rains for sure. :D

Sweet! My truck responds immediately when I touch the gas. I will have to adjust myself to it for driving in the rain. I see some spinning tires after the first few rains for sure. :D

hahha that's funny because every right turn I make I seem to peel tire!im just not use to it yet either and the new motor aint helping either!haha;)
Posted via Mobile Device

hahha that's funny because every right turn I make I seem to peel tire!im just not use to it yet either and the new motor aint helping either!haha;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Luckily I wont have to worry as much with the AWD but im looking forward to driving this thing when its back together :)

Did it about a week ago, works great. It's nice not having to keep my foot mashed in the floor while on the freeway.

very cool. I will have to try this after work.

Welcome to the forums! Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Did it about a week ago, works great. It's nice not having to keep my foot mashed in the floor while on the freeway.

Also makes merging a lot easier :)

wouldnt this cause your vehicle to run to lean? I have a 97 Mountaineer and i want to get as much horsepower out of it as i can, friend thinks his 4 banger can outrun me, but i dont want anything messing up my new engine, or making fuel milage worse, 19 on the highway is already bad, but still like it.

wouldnt this cause your vehicle to run to lean? I have a 97 Mountaineer and i want to get as much horsepower out of it as i can, friend thinks his 4 banger can outrun me, but i dont want anything messing up my new engine, or making fuel milage worse, 19 on the highway is already bad, but still like it.
no this just alows your butterfly to open fully like it came stock.the maf and O2 would adjust for whatever about of air or fuel goes in but if its new you might not need it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow I got three zip ties on mine. Feels like a brand new truck lol. I luv it. Thanks alot

Wow thanks for the tip! Tried it just now and feels much better! I'd always wondered about my throttle cable but never bothered to look at it closely. I'm glad I finally did! Feels much more responsive now.

While I was at it I cleaned out the throttle just a little bit and got rid of the slightly sticky gas pedal too!

[EDIT] Used two small zip ties on my '01 Sport

Wow I got three zip ties on mine. Feels like a brand new truck lol. I luv it. Thanks alot

Wow thanks for the tip! Tried it just now and feels much better! I'd always wondered about my throttle cable but never bothered to look at it closely. I'm glad I finally did! Feels much more responsive now.

While I was at it I cleaned out the throttle just a little bit and got rid of the slightly sticky gas pedal too!

[EDIT] Used two small zip ties on my '01 Sport

Glad it could help fellas. :)

Can this be done on a 3rd Generation???

Early comments in the thread suggested not... but I am just wondering?

Can this be done on a 3rd Generation???

Early comments in the thread suggested not... but I am just wondering?

I believe the 3rd gen is "fly by wire"... meaning it doesn't use a throttle cable to open the throttle body. Instead it uses a sensor that detects the gas pedal position then a motor opens the throttle body to the position it should be in. At least thats how my R1 works.....

So no, it will not work.

ok so my qestion is which cable do i put the zip ties on. i have a 94 xlt with 120,000 miles and they are quite stretched. i got under there today and looked and i have two cables on the top of my gas pedal. do i put them on both or just one? if one, which one? thanks in advance

ok so my qestion is which cable do i put the zip ties on. i have a 94 xlt with 120,000 miles and they are quite stretched. i got under there today and looked and i have two cables on the top of my gas pedal. do i put them on both or just one? if one, which one? thanks in advance

Have someone manually open the throttle body under the hood while your looking at the cables on the gas pedal. Whichever one moves, that one.

can you outline the generations of explorers here?

am I correct in saying my 01 sport is a 3rd generation?

can you outline the generations of explorers here?

am I correct in saying my 01 sport is a 3rd generation?

The generations are outlined on the main forum page into stock and modified as well.

Not sure don't have the memorized.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW! my pedal has never felt this new since i bought the X 4 years ago. No real power increase since the plate was already at 90 with WOT but the petal isn't all squishy any more!

Back