$500 to replace purge canister and DPFE ... doesnt sound right? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$500 to replace purge canister and DPFE ... doesnt sound right?

Brans Freestyle

Reaction score
City, State
Northridge, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ranger 4x4
Hey everyone, been a long time since ive been posted on here but I feel like I am being ripped off by this mechanic and could use a 2nd opinion on the matter.

ive got a 2001 ranger with the SOHC, 98k miles on it. about 5 months ago it threw out a CEL and a check gas cap light. got the codes read originally and it had the infamous 0455 code, along with i am pretty sure 171 and 174.

the truck still drove just fine, i was getting about 15 mpg so i wasnt too worried, but now i have to get it smogged and get this light off.

i took the truck into a shop yesterday to get it fixed since i am back at home for a month and dont have the tools or area to work.

the shop called me at the end of the day, said the PCV valve was bad and needed to be replaced ... i thought that seemed normal and said ok, he then told me it was going to cost about $300 to do that ... which seems a little off.

he called me today saying that the DPFE is also bad, and now the total is going to be about $500 with parts and labor. i asked if he replaced the PCV, and he said 'oh no it wasnt that, it was the canister purge valve' ... so i am thinking to myself arent those the same thing? everything he said he replaced is in the engine bay, so he hasnt touched the valve above the gas tank.

i dont know something just seems off, either he is charging a ridiculous amount for labor or something else is going on. i am probably going to get the truck back today and when i go down to the shop i want to make sure i am not getting screwed over.

i know these are common problems and i wish i had the time to diagnose myself, but to anyone who has gotten these parts fixed at a repair shop what was the normal charge?

The DPFE, PCV and canister purge valve are all different things.

Sounds way too much! I would take it somewhere else.

You're not getting ripped off- you're getting ripped in half! Dump that dude- he's slow for work and trying to make you pay for his monthly expenses...

Back