5R55E in trouble, advice wanted

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
Hello all. Here's the skinny: 1997 XLT ControlTrac 4.0 SOHC 176,000 miles, O/D light was flashing for a few miles, about once a month, but would not stay on. I understand the transmission was in limp mode (harder shifts). Fluid level was good, fluid was also fresh, about 10,000 miles usage. Now the light is pretty much on all the time, but my Actron scanner will not read transmission codes. I do understand that I need to get the codes read...I can get that done, but not right away. When driving, the RPMs are now higher than before...example: 2500rpm @ 55mph now, 2000rpm @ 55mph before. Also, when I checked the ATF level, it was just a little low, but the fluid now looks different, grayish, with fine particles showing...it used to always be red. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for reading.
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the OD finally died on the vehicle hence why your RPMs are higher. I wouldn't drive the truck either till its fixed properly. You could do a lot more harm and it will end up costing a lot more later on.

Fire!

Don't continue to drive it in limp mode. Try to get a transmission shop to read the codes.

I know I shouldn't have been driving it, but I was just going to drive out to the shop to get the codes read, and when I was almost there, the transmission caught fire! I suppose the ATF shot out of the transmission and onto the exhaust system. A substantial oil slick was visible on the street as far back as I could see. I could see the flames coming out from under the running board. I pulled over quickly, and good thing I keep a fire extinguisher handy. I was able to extinguish the flames, and only burned one vacuum line under the master cylinder. The plastic wiring harness covers are singed also, but I suppose everything else is OK, besides the transmission of course.

Sounds like the OD finally died on the vehicle hence why your RPMs are higher. I wouldn't drive the truck either till its fixed properly. You could do a lot more harm and it will end up costing a lot more later on.

The OD still works, but something is causing it go into limp mode.
PS: Love the 1A videos, Jeremy!!! Very helpful.

Update

I dropped the pan yesterday...looked like normal sludge, but fluid was black as night. Resistance on solenoids is good.

that's what mine is doing. took it in and they said it could not read od. they also said it would be ok to drive it. so they think the tcc solenoid went out but could be the torque converter. my question is can i drain the pan and change it then or what? im not even to sure if the tcc has anything to do with the od. any help would be nice thanks.

Code P0741

Hello, I have another update. I was able to get my vehicle in to have the codes read: P0741 Torque Converter Clutch System is stuck OFF.

WELL if your handy with tools u can do it your self for about 200 bucks. changed mine today took about a hour and a half filter and all.

WELL if your handy with tools u can do it your self for about 200 bucks. changed mine today took about a hour and a half filter and all.

You replaced the solenoid? I am searching for some info on this.

Hello, I have another update. I was able to get my vehicle in to have the codes read: P0741 Torque Converter Clutch System is stuck OFF.

And when I left the shop, it blew all the fluid again, while I was going up a steep hill. Fortunately, it did not catch fire this time. ATF was everywhere, and I have no clue where it came from. Maybe it came out of the vent tube, but I just don't know. I am still at a loss here, and have taken the vehicle off the road. I plan to pull the valve body down for a closer look.

Back