5r55e - Installation Lessons Learned - HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e - Installation Lessons Learned - HELP!

04xltDave

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sporttrac XLT
2004 sport XLT 4.0 - 180,000 the transmission started acting up. Initially it slipped and I got the blinking o/d light like so many others. With some experimentation, I found that I could drive the tuck fine as long as I operated it manually. I would have to start off in low with the o/d turned off and then manually switch to 2nd (at low speed - 5-10mph) and then lift the accelerator as i switched to "D" at about 30-35 mph and slowly apply the accelerator again as the tranny caught up. Again, I would lift off the gas and switch the O/D to off (about 45 mph) and slowly apply the accelerator as the tranny caught up. After that, as long as I stayed at or above 45 mph, it worked fine. The opposite process when slowing down...O/D off, manual shift to "2" and ultimately shift to low when getting ready to go again. I have been successfully driving like this for over a month now. Reverse is a different story. Very finicky. The o/d must be off and it always slips badly. I can get it going only when the rpms are much higher than they should be but it hasn't left me stranded yet.

All that said, I have purchased a remanufactured unit and plan to put it in this weekend. I have changed auto trans many times but not in the last 20 odd years and I know things have changed from the technical side. I'm looking for any advice or pitfalls to be on the lookout for. Any help is appreciated.

Back