5r55e issues have me stumped

Elessar65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 F150 EcoBoost 4x4
Ok, first off its a 98 Sport 4x4, SOHC, 5r55e.

A while back (over a year actually) I had an issue where I had no 3rd gear after a weekend of thrashing it offroad. Towed it home and drove it around town in manual 2 for a week to get to work and back. Put some Lucas trans stuff in it and it was magicly fixed. (I'm not nieve enough to think it was actually FIXED, but out of sight, out of mind. I didn't worry about it again).

Fast forward to recently, 3rd is disapearing again, but not all the time. It started not engaging when it was cold, and would work fine when warm. Now its hit and miss reguardless of temp, mostly miss. About 30% of the time when I try to drive it I will have no engagement in D or R, but if I put it in manual 2 or 1 it will go into gear, then D and R will work. Also, if I drive it with OD off it seems to work ok through all the gears.

Line pressure and EPC pressure are within spec, towards the high side, but I see that as a good thing.

Fluid doesn't look too bad, its at the proper level. Linkage is all good, wiring is all good. Solenoids pass electrically, but I know that they can do this and still not function mechanically.

I am trying to decide if I need to rebuild the whole trans, or if its a VB thing. Its got a ton of miles on it, 195k and change, so its probably due for a complete rebuild anyways. But that is at the upper limit of my skills. I've done a C6 and a TH350 before, but those are pretty simple.

I am kind of answering my own question here, I need to drop the pan and VB and see how it looks, then go from there.

Anyone have any insight? I am kind of grasping at straws here hoping its something easy and relatively cheap like a VB.

Edit: It doesn't throw any codes, and no OD light flashing. I can hook it up to the scan tool and do some stuff in bench mode with the trans, but I don't know enough to know what I am looking for. I need to grab a helper and drive it with the scan tool attatched and look and see if the solenoids are operating and what the pressures are while driving in different gears.

Well, got off the highway on the way home today, and it downshifted into a horrible screaming high pitched gear stripping sound. So its parked. I will start opening it up tomorrow and start pulling it next week sometime.

Back