5R55E lost all gears, no D, no R, no 1 and 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E lost all gears, no D, no R, no 1 and 2

anderson83

Reaction score
City, State
Izium, Kharkovskay oblast, Ukraine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Good day! I need help: after installation on an automatic transmission 5R55Е new clutch, steel wheels, seals, gaskets, servopistons, brake bands, and install in a valve body Superior Shift Kit with new gaskets, lost all gears, no drive, reverse, 1 and 2. I think the problem with the shift solenoids: because, due to his own stupidity, did not mark them before removing. The solenoids all different and have (at the coil and the nozzle) there are rooms: 3.1/1.1; 1.3/1.2; 2.7/1.2; 3.4/1.4 respectively. Please help me how to install them correctly. Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good evening! Thank you for responding! Yes, I am check the fluid level with the engine running on Park position, and I chek connect the shift linkage.

I do not know much English. I am do not understand: what do meane, then refill the transmission with the engine running?

Shift Solenoids are all different: the location of the holes of the nozzle and its diameter also differ from each other. The solenoids all diferent and have (at the coil and the nozzle) there are rooms: 3.1/1.1; 1.3/1.2; 2.7/1.2; 3.4/1.4 respectively

WP_20171030_18_18_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20171030_18_19_05_Pro.jpg

When I switch the selector to the drive (1, 2) or reverse position, the engine RPM up to 1200-1300 and then drops to 650-670.

Install pressure gauge. Transmission may have no pressure because of pump problem, possibly the relief valve stuck open, built into the pump. imp

Install pressure gauge. Transmission may have no pressure because of pump problem, possibly the relief valve stuck open, built into the pump. imp
Thank you for the advice! I will try on the weekend!

Today rang the wiring to the solenoids, the resistance was all within spec. When the engine is started came started flashing the Overdrive, when scanning the error occurred Р1701. There is still no drive, reverse, 1 and 2, when switching of the shift gear selector шт "D", "R", "1" ore "2" the engine RPM rises to 1200-1300, then down to 650-670. Please help, anyone encountered similar symptoms? When assembling the automatic transmission refurbished torque converter (replaced with a teflon washer, bearings), oil pump centered, plastic washer replaced, replace all the o-rings in the clutch plates, replaced servopiston, clutches, steel wheels, after install Superior Shift Kit all the body mounting bolts of the valves were tightened according to the specification (11Нм), the valve reverse 14Нм, replaced all o-rings and gaskets when installing all metal clips, control balls, filter EPC was set according to the scheme. Devices to measure pressure I not have. Tonight I'll try to change the control solenoids swapped, starting with the smallest numbers (on reel and nozzle) in order SS1 to SS4.

The transmission should still move fwd and reverse with the case connector unplugged. I doubt you are dealing with an electrical failure. You need to find out if you have line pressure.

The transmission should still move fwd and reverse with the case connector unplugged. I doubt you are dealing with an electrical failure. You need to find out if you have line pressure.
Thank you for your advice! I'll try to make an adapter for connecting a manometer!

Good evening! Today I replaced the pressure regulator, solenoids, filter. As before, there is no drive, reverse, 1 and 2. When the selector is switched to the gear, the engine RPM up to 1200-1300 and then falls to 650-670, the automatic transmission does not produce any noise, at idle the engine worked for about half an hour, while the oil temperature was not used 22 degrees Celsius. The pressure test tool has not yet been fabricated, please tell us the symptoms of the pump failure. Thank you in advance!

Drain oil, the the oil pan has not been removed yet, there are no impurities in the oil, foreign particles too, the color and smell have not changed. I really want to hope that the pump is all right, I would not want to shoot the automatic transmission again.

forgot to add, after installing the automatic transmission on the car (before screwing the cardan shafts to the transfer case), I started the engine, turned on the gears and at the same time the flanges of the cardan shafts were rotating. Thank you in advance for your help!

I think that the pressure is too low for the car to start moving, but I want to understand what caused the cause of the malfunction: pump, valve body or what?

After sitting for a bit with out it running pull the dipstick and see where the fluid level is. Then start vehicle and check fluid level. Did it go down?

After sitting for a bit with out it running pull the dipstick and see where the fluid level is. Then start vehicle and check fluid level. Did it go down?
Good afternoon! Yes, with the engine running, the oil level dropped.

4F905981-8EE1-4EE1-A14E-117532297B77.jpeg
Maybe go back through the valve body. I’m not familiar with the Superior shift kit. Pressure regulator valve installed correct? Make sure all the “L” shaped retainers are installed in the right location and holding plugs properly.

Thank you! Now I'm finishing the manufacture of pressure measuring instruments. As I understand it, the linear pressure is measured on the left (driver's side) on the automatic transmission?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am very worried about the oil pump, if it breaks, it should make any noise? Should the oil pass through the converter oil seal? In addition to pressure loss, what other symptoms can the oil pump fail? Just if I am dismantle the valve body, I need replace valve body gasket, despite the fact that the gaskets are new, I'll have to order gaskets in the USA, since we do not have them in the our country.

Back