Solved - 5R55E - No First Gear Problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 5R55E - No First Gear Problem

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Hmm, good question Campo. I don't believe so, but I'll let those more technically advanced answer. I noticed my problem when off-roading and trying to use engine compression ins 1st gear to slow the truck down. When I'd make the shift, it was like I was shifting to neutral - no engine compression at all! My 1st gear did still work, however, when applying gas to it (climbing)...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mmpc,

You mind posting the parts used/work done to your truck. and even though you probably had it done under warranty, any idea how much $$?

Jefe, I'll be happy to do so when the repair center mails me a copy of the report. Should be next week sometime...

Roll back and slow into first

My Explorer, rolls back on a shallow slope when idling, even a very shallow slope and it takes 3 -4 seconds to shift into first am I suffering from the same problem, the technicians at ford dealers in the UK are not very good with explorers so any help or guidence would be appreciated, this appears to be the cars second gearbox as it is marked with a sticker from ford to say remanufacured gearbox, would this also effect kickdown, as the box isnt very responsive at anything but full throttle.

My 94 does the same thing on a small slope. But my problem is after backing up, or at anytime going into first. it wont shift. it acts like netural and the revs go up. i tried shifting the auto into any of the other 3 gears but i get the same thing? if this the same problem you guys are having?

I have the same probles on slopes or in the morning.

same problem

I previously had only used 2nd gear for engine braking on my '00 and it worked fine. I tried dropping it into first after reading this thread and sure enough, it just freewheels like it is in neutral and it never seemed to engage no matter how long I waited. If I start to accelerate, it takes a second and then it grabs and takes off. It sure seems like a widespread enough safety problem that Ford should be addressing it with a TSB. Maybe someone should put Fred Levin on the case...

There is No TSB yet for the concern. There is only what ford calls a "special service message" which let's you know that ford is aware of the problem and is figuring out a permanent fix. Replacing the gaskets has become second nature to me. It takes me less than an hour to do now. Only socket siezes you need is a 13mm for the pan and a 10mm for the valve body and servo cover bolts. The only thing to be aware of when dropping the valve body is that there is different length bolts. I have done so much of these trannys that I can tell you where each bolt goes. And guess what, sometimes it's just the servo cover that goes bad, but, I always change the valve body gasket because they will go next.

Mine does the same thing. Put it on the "things to fix" list I gave Ford today for my 60K service. Will let you know how it goes.... and I hope extended warranty covers this little item if they charge for it!

Well, my dealer played stupid and had the gall to tell me that the transmission was :eek: normal and no engine braking occured in first going down a hill.... the weight of the truck would cause it to accelerate. After several minutes of :nono: trying to correct him, I got tired :banghead: and gave up. I still have 40K under the warranty to get them to fix this. Next time I'll bring a printout of this post and make them see the error of their ways. And in the meantime, if I should lose control going down an icy hill, I can always sue them...........

Just caught another one today. The lube boy was doing a regular maintanence trans service on a explorer. I looked at the area where the gasket always breaks and sure enough the gasket was broken. I replaced the gasket while the pan was down. Easiest way to find out if the gasket is broken is put the trans in 4 low and in manual 1st gear. Go down a hill and if the truck just keeps going faster and faster with no engine braking it's the gasket that bad.

So, now we all seem to know what's causing the problem, does anyone know why? It sounds like some of you have had this replaced multiple times? I had mine done last year after the CCR but haven't done much off-roading since then. Is it the engine compression that causes the gasket to break? Anyone hear of any long-term fix for this?

It's been a while....

And my repair is still holding up - I wonder if they have re-designed the gaskets somewhere along the line....

Also, anyone with an '02 Explorer have the same issue? Since they have similar (if not the same) transmission, it would be interesting to see if they have the issue...

The big picture

Go to (dead link) click on tech and view reverse A4LD problems. These trannies are very close in design and it will give everyone a visual of the problem area.

It took long enough

Ford finally issued a TSB regarding this issue (02-08-2). Here is the beginning of the text. If you wan't the entire document, you can get it from Alldata.

A/T - Slipping/Delayed Engagement/DTC P1762 Set
Article No.
02-8-2

04/29/02

TRANSMISSION - 4R44E - 4R55E - 5R44E - 5R55E -
LOW LINE PRESSURE READING AT WIDE OPEN
THROTTLE (WOT) - SLIPPING SHIFTS AND/OR
DELAYED ENGAGEMENTS - POSSIBLE DIAGNOSTIC
TROUBLE CODE P1762 SET - VEHICLES BUILT
BEFORE 9/15/2001

FORD:
1995-2001 EXPLORER
1995-2002 RANGER
1996-1997 AEROSTAR
1999-2002 EXPLORER SPORT
2001-2002 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC

MERCURY:
1997-2001 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE
Some vehicles built prior to 9/15/2001 may exhibit the following shift and engagement conditions:

^ Low line pressure readings while in DRIVE at
WOT

^ No 2nd gear

^ No 3rd gear

^ No engine braking in Manual 1st

^ Slipping shifts and/or delayed engagements

This may be caused by improper pressures controlled by the Transmission Main Control assembly.

ACTION

If the conditions described are verified, the Main Control may need to be updated to the latest level or completely replaced. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE THIS ARTICLE DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY OTHER CONDITIONS OR COMPONENTS THAT MAY CAUSE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS AND IS ONLY WRITTEN TO COVER THESE SPECIFIC CONDITIONS.

NOTE AN IN-LINE SERVICE FILTER IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE ADDED OR REPLACED FOR THIS TSB.

Verify that one or more of the following conditions exist:

^ Low line pressure while in Drive at WOT

^ Slipping/delayed shifts

^ Slipping/delayed engagements

^ No 2nd and/or No 3rd gear

^ No engine braking in Manual 1st

^ OD Band failed OFF

^ DTC P1762 set

1. Verify that one of the conditions listed above exist with the vehicle.

2. If the condition exists, drain the transmission fluid from the pan.

3. Remove the fluid pan and fluid pan gasket, discard the gasket. Refer to Workshop Manual, In-Vehicle Service, Fluid Pan And Gasket Procedure.

4. Inspect the fluid in pan for major contamination.

a. If major contamination IS present, refer to Procedure A, to replace the Main Control Assembly.

b. If major contamination is NOT present, refer to Procedure B, to Update the Main Control Assembly.

5. After completing procedure A or B, verify the condition has been corrected.

6. Clear all DTCs.

Figured I'd bring this thread back to life. . . again.

My tranny was due for a fluid change, so I figured I'd tackle this project myself. I've had this problem ever since I bought the rig, one year used, in oct '00

Parts used:
D4ZZ-7L173-A - Tran Low/Rev Servo Separator Plate Gasket
2L5Z-7C155-AA - Trans Valve Body Separator Plate Gasket
F5TZ-7D100-B - Trans Valve Body Separator Plate Gasket
Pan Gasket
Filter & O-rings

Although It apears from other peoples parts used that they are sometimes only replacing the Tran Low/Rev Servo Separator Plate Gasket (The easy one to get to), that mine was leaking from one of the Trans Valve Body Separator Plate Gaskets:

SANY0003.jpg

Only a portion of that gasket was found in the pan. I have had the fluid changed twice before this, since I've owned it though.

Some more pics to show what work is needed:

Remove Pan:
Sany0011.jpg

Remove Filter:
Sany0010.jpg

Remove Valve Body:
SANY0001.jpg

SANY0002.jpg

SANY0008.jpg

Replace Gaskets:
SANY0006.jpg

Reassemble

Oh, I forgot a step: Take ATF shower in constantly draining valve body. :rolleyes:

And now I have engine braking in 1st :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

TTT

$1000 to fix?

No engine braking in low gear.
I took my explorer to the dealer yesterday for this problem. They haven't opend anything up yet (probably doing so as I write this), but they suspect it will be about a $1000 job to fix. Does this sound out of line?

I bought an extended warranty when I bought the truck used a little over a year ago. There is 118,000 Km on it now. The dealer doesn't think the warranty will cover the repair because I can't produce receipts for transmission service at 100,000 Km. If they won't honor the warranty, I think I would like to attempt this repair myself.

If more people have done this job themselves, I would sure like to hear from you.
Do you wish you had paid someone else to do it?
Is it too much to do it in your own driveway?
How many hours did it take?

Thanks for any replies.

Al

!000 souinds like too much if its just changing the VB gasket. Jefe posted the repair above and if you are handy with tools it shouldnt take more than a couple of hours- if not a bit longer. Its a fairly simple remove and replace operation. The only special tool you need that you may not have is a torque wrench thats graduated in inch/pounds- borrow/rent or buy one.
Get some disposable gloves.

If your uncomfortable with the repair take in the TSB and discuss it with the techs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Steve!

You have given me some confidence to give it a try.

The dealer called a few minutes ago and told me that the warranty company will likely 'participate' if it can be determined that the failure wasn't due to missing the transmission service at 100,000Km.

There is a $100 deductable if they do honor the coverage, so if I am lucky, I won't have to do the work myself.

The Ford dealer here in Burnaby (next door to Vancouver) charges $99 per hour.
I'm curious: How much is labour at dealerships in USA?

Al

Back