• Register Today It's free!

5R55E possible swap??

95_exploder

Reaction score
City, State
rancho cucamonga,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 explorer prerunner
i have a 95 explorer 4 door 2wd and the tranny just went out. the previous owner had the 5r55e rebuilt 38k ago i have the reciept. i have been reading nothing but bad things about the transmission so im thinking of swapping it but i dont know with what. i was thinking the 4r55e but is that any better? any opinions about a c4 swap? i was told it would be expensive to put a c4 in it so i might as well put a 5.0 in it if i wanted to put the c4. any help would be much appreciated :D

also was thinking about having the tranny rebuilt and putting a shift kit in it. any thoughts on this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The manual trans is the way to go if you arent worried about a little custom work, but its mostly a bolt on swap minus the floor plate

i would much rather have a stick then automatic. what all would i need to do the swap? amd how much money do you think it would cost? im on a low budget right now which is why i was just going to go to pickapart and get a 5r55e for 150$

you will need a clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, master cylinder, lines, reseviour, pedal assy, and probably an ecm and trans harness. I was able to source a lot of really cheap parts, and got everything used for a total of right around $150 including the transmission, but im not rpeplacing my ecm or trans harness either. sometimes the lack of trans inputs will cause the engine to run poorly depending on the ecm programming, and i am fortunate enough to have an ecm that allows my explorer to run fine without trans inputs. I should also tell you that im am using mostly parts that arent supposed to work in a 2ng gen explorer but they required minimal fab work to function properly

Agreed, it should be a 4r55e. None of the second Gen v6 transmissions were very good.

Back