Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

5R55E slipping out of first gear when warm

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Salty Dalt, November 10, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Salty Dalt

Salty Dalt New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2001 Explorer Sport Trac
    I have a 5R55E transmission that has been slipping out of first gear, almost into neutral it seems, and I have to remove my foot from the gas, and let it clunk back into gear, then it's fine. It only will do this when the transmission fluid is warm, only once, then drive with no symptoms. Or if i park somewhere for an hour, then drive again, it will do it. Making me think the solenoid(s) might be acting up with the temperature. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Salty Dalt

Salty Dalt New Member

2001 Explorer Sport Trac
    Anybody have any help?

4. 974X4BLACKSPORT

974X4BLACKSPORT Active Member

City, State:
    hudson
    BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
    Start by getting a scanner and check for codes. ALso, make sure you are full of ATF fluid.

5. Salty Dalt

Salty Dalt New Member

2001 Explorer Sport Trac
    I had brought it in to have it looked at by Ford, they confirmed the fluid level and condition is correct. I will check for any codes, my battery completely died recently, so it might not have any yet. Will update when I know.