5R55E transmission missing sensor / extra sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E transmission missing sensor / extra sensor

bryane

Reaction score
City, State
tucson arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
I recently bought a 97 explorer thet needed a transmission rebuild which i had done. the transmission has what is called an output shaft sensor at the end but at the bell housing end there is an open hole with nothing there. i have been told there should be an input shaft sensor in it and have been told it does not take an input shaft sensor and just put a plug in it. what would be right?

97 explorer 4.0 sohv

Just behind the bell housing there is a overdrive drum speed (ODS) sensor.
part number 7M182

Edit:

it is on the driverside front of the tranny housing just behing the bell housing, towards the top

Is that what your talking about?

This may shed some light, found it while browsing some problem reports for the x

Ford Explorer 1997

Problem: Discontinuation of the overdrive speed sensor (ODS sensor) on the 5R55E automatic transmission.

Solution: When fitting a new transmission, there is a fault signal in the powertrain control module and a fault code is generated by the open circuit in the unconnected multiplug. To avoid this, when the transmission is renewed or the transmission housing cover is exchanged, cut the unconnected multiplug at the transmission housing and join the cable ends with a crimped/soldered connector. New transmission housings installed in production no longer have a drilling for the ODS sensor.

In addition to this, the ODS sensor multiplug should be disconnected, the connector cut off and the cable ends joined together using a crimped/soldered connector, during sevice work on the 5R55E. The ODS sensor remains in the transmission housing.

Back