Solved - 5R55S servo cover popped off. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 5R55S servo cover popped off.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Test drive went well, counted 4 shifts, no flares, and all manual gears work.

Looks like I got lucky.
@domct203
That's great! A long road after first seeing that nasty snap ring........remember, a "5th shift" should be seen as the tach drops when the TCC locks up. Not trying to spoil good feeling, you know. Every thing must be checked! Feel glad for you. imp

For future reference, there is a specialty tool called a servo cover compressor. Here's a link: Ford- Servo Cover Compressor [5RR5N] | Atec Trans-Tool | T-0518

110946[1].jpg

For future reference, there is a specialty tool called a servo cover compressor. Here's a link: Ford- Servo Cover Compressor [5RR5N] | Atec Trans-Tool | T-0518

View attachment 166006
Oh yea, that will be in my toolbox. I used a pry bar against a small block of wood on the cover, held back with a bungee strap.

Once the cover was in far enough, the snap ring was the real challenge, what a PITA.

Glad to have my X back in service, thanks for the coaching guys!!

[edit] Holy crap, that link shows that tool as $400.00. Guess I’ll stick with the pry bar/bungee cord method. [/edit]

I was thinking the same thing.

I found it used for $72, still ridiculous money for what it is.

I need to find a picture or video of this tool in use.

@domct203
That's great! A long road after first seeing that nasty snap ring........remember, a "5th shift" should be seen as the tach drops when the TCC locks up. Not trying to spoil good feeling, you know. Every thing must be checked! Feel glad for you. imp
Thanks imp. Yes indeed TC lockup should be confirmed, but with 5” of lift, five KC daylighters on the roof (read ‘wind resistance’), and the 265/75/16’s that only happens on the highway, going downhill, with a back wind LOL.

I plan to take her on a good highway ride today or tomorrow, I’ll be sure to pay attention to TCC.

Embarking on the same Journey and repair on my '03 eddie bauer I have been driving since high school. Was glad to find this thread!

Back