City, State
Franklin, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer EB 4x4
Trouble codes
P734 4th incorrect gear ratio
P735 5th incorrect gear ratio
P795 Pressure Control Solenoid C

I've owned this Explorer for about 2 years now. Bought knowing it had tranny issues. Original issues were OD off flashed. Replaced solenoid block. Didn't help. Pulled valve body and clean each bore. Found a small piece of metal. Put everything back together. Still no change. Pulled tranny and found a bunch of metal glitter and some chunks. Turned out the TC imploded on itself. Gutted case had servos updated. Installed shift kit. Installed new TC. Reinstalled tranny. Had delayed to no reverse. When in drive would only go into 3rd gear and stuck in safe mode. Could manually shift 1, 2, 3. Replaced MLPS neutral safety switch. Now shifts on it's own. Flares 3-4 then slips out of 4 completely. Have to slow down enough for it to down shift into 3rd before any forward movement happens.

The question I'm asking is should replacing the solenoid block again correct my 3-4 and 4-5 shifts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trouble codes
P734 4th incorrect gear ratio
P735 5th incorrect gear ratio
P795 Pressure Control Solenoid C

I've owned this Explorer for about 2 years now. Bought knowing it had tranny issues. Original issues were OD off flashed. Replaced solenoid block. Didn't help. Pulled valve body and clean each bore. Found a small piece of metal. Put everything back together. Still no change. Pulled tranny and found a bunch of metal glitter and some chunks. Turned out the TC imploded on itself. Gutted case had servos updated. Installed shift kit. Installed new TC. Reinstalled tranny. Had delayed to no reverse. When in drive would only go into 3rd gear and stuck in safe mode. Could manually shift 1, 2, 3. Replaced MLPS neutral safety switch. Now shifts on it's own. Flares 3-4 then slips out of 4 completely. Have to slow down enough for it to down shift into 3rd before any forward movement happens.

The question I'm asking is should replacing the solenoid block again correct my 3-4 and 4-5 shifts.
@02ExpEB4.04x4
Codes shown were from BEFORE rework, or after? Present now? Flashing OD OFF light?
Your question: another solenoid replace IMO likely no help. @transman304 will know, much of my work is guesswork! imp

After work was done. Yes on the OD light
@02ExpEB4.04x4
Seems unlikely both servos would go bad, installed incorrectly, band struts misaligned, both bands, I would do a pressure check first if possible, to determine if solenoid(s) are malfunctioning, especially pressure control solenoids. Front servo affects both 2nd and 5th gears. Intermediate servo 3rd gear both with O/D OFF switch ON or OFF, AND 3rd. gear Manual. See below. imp

Probably unlikely that the solenoid pack has failed. This solenoid switch valve is prone to sticking and will give a lot diffrent symptoms. Also the direct clutch pack has to be applied in reverse and 4th gear. May have an issue in that area. Pressure test that Imp suggested is a fantastic suggestion. It would rule out a loss of pressure in the circuit. Here is a picture of the valve I am speaking of. Good luck.
5159F06A-22C7-406C-A1BB-626CA748CAB9.jpeg

So very recently I had to do the timing on the wife's 2010 corolla. Now it wont start. But the good news is we had a pretty big snow storm last night and I've had to use the explorer over the past week or so. O. The way to work this morning while slipping and sliding all over the road I thought I felt the tranny go into 4th and not slip. I left work some many hours later to a tranny that just all of sudden wants to go into reverse with no delay and when in drive no slippage in any gear and the OD off light didn't flash. Not that I'm not glad that it's working they way it should be but why all of sudden is it working a 100%.

I think it just needed some extra time to relearn how it was supposed to work. Or there may have been a blockage in the pressure side of it. Only because I was getting pressure codes.

Back