Solved - 5R55W/S O/Drive flashing fault on a 2009 Ranger in Australia. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 5R55W/S O/Drive flashing fault on a 2009 Ranger in Australia.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Paulkel

Reaction score
City, State
Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Ford Pk Ranger xls
Hi everyone, looking for some guidance from across the waters please. Have a 2009 Ford ranger xls 4x4 3.0 L turbo diesel , 5 speed automatic trans. 150000kms
About 21000kms ago a reconditioned transmission was fitted and recently the same fault O/D flashing is back. Local automatic shop has given up and cannot figure it out. They replaced the torque converter and solinoid block. Still same.
Symptoms:
100km/h in cruise control rpm hunts up and down 2000 to 2700rpm and after a while he o/drive light will start flashing on dash.
Today I disconnected the battery and clamped the +&- leads together to contact each other and left it for 30min.(to make the ecm relearn I think) Reconnected to battery and test drove about 20kms. This time same speed and cruise on rpm seamed to be more stable, spent most of the times at 2700rpm in 4th and only down hill light load at 2000rpm in 5th over drive. Got home put into park and over drive light came on again.
Anyone came across this before. I also checked manually shifted through each range to ensure 1 to 5 all engaged. All good.

Need direction on diagnosing this fault. Also I'm unsure if they reconditioned my box or exchanged it . The workshop was very vague and I am disappointed in there knowledge so far. This tranny is common I your USA vehicles I think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need to know the trouble codes. When the OD light is flashing it indicates that a transmission trouble code has set. Has to be scanned.

I'll call the workshop tomorrow and ask. Pretty sure they said it wasn't showing any codes. The original box before reco they said it scanned for high pressure.

They also tried 2 s/hand valve bodies. Said it was worse.

Anyone recommend a scan tool that will read transmission codes as well.

With forscan

Overnight I left the battery disconnected and pos and neg leads clamped together in contact.Today we drove the ranger 60 km to town at 100km/h in cruise control. No faults at all, but notably spent 99% of the time in 4th and only times in 5th was down hill or breif coasting. As soon as any load back to 4th again. Then the last few kms was on freeway at 110 kms . Same again stayed in 4th whole time. I briefly pressed the o/drive button to cut out o/drive to confirm that trans was in 4th , no change in rpm (3000rpm). pressed o/d button again to engage o/drive and immediately o/drive came up flashing. Continued straight to transmission workshop and had fault scanned without shutting down engine.

Scan tool results below,
Fault code P0732:FF Transmission gear 2 incorrect ratio
CMDTCs

Fault code P0735:FF Transmission gear 5 incorrect ratio
CMDTCs

Fault code P0775:FF Pressure control solenoid (PCS) B fault
CMDTCs

Fault code P0775:00 Pressure control solenoid (PCS) B fault
pending

2 other fault code as well

C1233 Left front wheel sensor (WSS) input signal missing
CMDTCs

C1234 Right front wheel sensor (WSS) input signal missing
CMDTCs

I replaced the drivers rhs cv joint on saturday. Not sure if that has anything to do with these two codes. I did remove censor out of hub assembly and loop it out of my way.

Had a good chat at the trans workshop on his thoughts and he thinks maybe the throttle position sensor?.Due to not staying in 5th gear. He said when they had our vehicle in the shop every time they replaced components (solenoid block twice and 2x s/hand valve bodies) it would scan a different fault. Not any one consistently. Thinks electrical problem not mechanical.

What do you think?

You could test the TPS with an Ohmmeter to see if there are dead spots. Isn't your system throttle by wire since it's a 2009? I know that the Explorer started to use this in 2004. You might have servo bore wear.

I'll check if it's cable but I think it is. TPS is under dash above the accelerator pedal. I asked about servo bore wear but they can't remember if they built it or bought it in. They said if they had built it it would have been bushed. So an unknown.

Does anyone believe with certainty with these fault codes and how it faulted. Do you think TPS is the most likely offender , or what about MAF sensor.

Penny for your thoughts

Those codes usually mean a broken OD band or torn/broken servo piston. May need the band adjusted.
Good luck
Brad
4D8AC91F-7665-4B0F-AC6C-309A362E3E5F.jpeg

Make sure the case has not been bushed before using piston with o rings.

Ok so it looks like a box out of car from what I'm reading. Am I correct. Other than band adjustments.
I did today test the TPS and its good. 0.59v idle to 3.5v dc full throttle. And even up and down with me tapping it with the handle of a screwdriver. Will clean MAF and MAP sensors in next day or too. Need to get some cleaner isopropyl first.
Question without removing box can bands be verified as not broken?

Really appreciate everyone's input.

I don't have one (in/lb torque wrench) but I'll look for one. This thread might be quite for a while as I'm busy fencing on the farm and the car is looking like a winter task. When it's too cold to do work outside. I will update as I get further along.

Checking the band adjustment I'll try first, before pulling the box out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just double checking. The plate on my transmission plate
52U502G
BM3915
9M3P

Is this a 5R55W/S transmission?

Vin MNAUSFE909W844396
2007 Ford Ranger

Back