5R55W transmission fluid flush idea | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W transmission fluid flush idea

Hannie

Reaction score
City, State
Apple Valley, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I've searched a lot and really haven't found a concrete way everyone is using to replace the atf in their 55R55W. I want to clean as much out as possible, not just what's in the pan. Thinking of disconnecting the cooler return line and putting it in a bucket to collect the old fluid, finding a barbed hose fitting to fit where the return line feeds in, and continuously pumping my fresh atf in through there until the atf coming out starts looking cleaner. Has anyone tried this, and if so how did it work out? Planning on using a bucket pump and running around 14qts of Castrol Mercon V through it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No suction on the return line AFAIK.

Not a good idea, Just pull the pan and clean it, replace filter and fill back up with Mercon V. Use a suction gun or gear oil pump, There's a write up on here somewhere. I listed the parts you would need. If you start trying to flush things then you could open a can of worms.

Not a good idea, Just pull the pan and clean it, replace filter and fill back up with Mercon V. Use a suction gun or gear oil pump, There's a write up on here somewhere. I listed the parts you would need. If you start trying to flush things then you could open a can of worms.

This is what I have heard. For my 2005 XLT 4x4, I had my local mechanic do the above, which we call around here a "drain and fill" with a new filter too.

Back