5spdman's slow and cheap XLT build | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5spdman's slow and cheap XLT build

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks everyone!

Haven't had any updates for a while...been busy with the school's 95 Dodge Ram 2500. The rear diff had gone out about 2 years ago and I FINALLY convinced the administration to let me go to the junkyard and pull a rear axle ($150 verses $300+ for new gears and whatnot). I was able to find one, but unfortunately it was a Spicer 60, not the Dana 70 original to the vehicle, so the bearing caps on the u-joints were too small and the drive shaft slightly too long. Fixed that by getting the drive shaft from the donor, chopping both and building my own shaft.

IMG_20150423_095719_069.jpg

IMG_20150423_103330_850.jpg

Also noticed the other day when shutting the door that the windshield moved...further examination revealed that the entire windshield was not connected to the cab at all....slid the glass out this afternoon and am working on removing all the useless urethane to reapply the windshield later this week (hopefully....)

On better news, I have been able, between school projects and wedding planning, to do some work to the Explorer. The screws I had used to hold the shovel mounts inside the vehicle had stripped out of the plastic, so I ran bolts through to hold it more securely.

IMG_20150505_180009_026.jpg

I had moved the CB into the center console (just about a perfect fit) and got it all wired, and moved the mic mount as well.

IMG_20150505_134832_516.jpg

Since the CB was now in the center console, the switches for my roof lights, front and rear, needed to be relocated. I took a case for a DeWalt drill (that had been stolen from the school a while back) and used it in place of the tray to hold the switches. Also got my Mag-lite mounts put on...

IMG_20150505_134902_133.jpg

The plastic from the case is about 3/16" thick, easy to cut with a utility knife, and the space available will lend itself to more switches in the future (side rack lights, rock lights, front selectable locker....) Will be painting it at another time. After doing all that, I came to realize that if I was really going for a stock-like appearance, a junk yard kick panel is about the same thickness, would have enough material for the switch panel, and would also have that textured look that the rest of the interior has....this will do for now though!

I had also ordered another 33x10.50x15 BFG All-Terrain a week ago and stopped at the junk yard on my way to town yesterday for the kid's field trip to grab another deer track rim. For automotive class, I showed the kids the redneck way of mounting a tire and setting the beads, how to balance a tire (on my $40 bubble balancer), and since we had time left, we changed the oil and filter in the Explorer while we were at it. The chrome stem cap on the spare also has a valve tool on the other end so I can rapidly deflate tires without getting into the toolbox.

IMG_20150505_134804_439.jpg

If you look close, you can see I added something else as well. I removed the Dodge lugs used on the tire carrier when first built and replaced them with the lugs from one of the old front rotors. This allowed me to not only use lug nuts that are the same size as the ones on the wheels, but let me put washers on the lugs a bit further back allowing me to carry the spare tire and a spare 4x4 hub on the gate while still having enough bite on the lugs so they won't get stripped out. Unfortunately, I don't have pics of that process...

I happened to notice after the auto class today that my front tires are leaning in at the top...I'm going to chalk the unimproved camber to the coils starting to settle. I haven't looked at it since I moved it from the shop, but hopefully it was just the way it was sitting...if not, I still have all the papers for the MOOG bushings to make adjustments. Don't really have time to take it into town for another alignment...

Question Where did you get that Tire carrier? Did you make it or was it something aftermarket? Nice build. Like your truck.

All of it.

Speachless

Haha, well thanks...I think... ;)

Question Where did you get that Tire carrier? Did you make it or was it something aftermarket? Nice build. Like your truck.

The tire carrier I built myself...the tubing is about 3/4"-1" pipe from a buried propane line we dug up and discarded, ends came from a trailer hitch on an '89 Dodge van, the mount on the back hatch came from the same van (one of the mounts for the rear bumper), lugs from an old rotor for the Explorer, the hinges mounted to the body and the plate the lugs are welded to from a 1/4" plate used as a base stand for a sign. Everything I needed and used other than the bolts used for mounting and the hitch pin came from the scrap pile here at the school...the bolts I picked up at the hardware store.

The gate does bounce up every so often down the road...I plan on welding an "upper plate" to the mount on the rear hatch to handle that. The body was reinforced using electrical box covers fully welded to the body where the hinge bolts passed through. Seems to hold pretty good, but with every thing I've fabricated myself, I see flaws in it and want to do all over again lol.

The tire carrier I built myself...the tubing is about 3/4"-1" pipe from a buried propane line we dug up and discarded, ends came from a trailer hitch on an '89 Dodge van, the mount on the back hatch came from the same van (one of the mounts for the rear bumper), lugs from an old rotor for the Explorer, the hinges mounted to the body and the plate the lugs are welded to from a 1/4" plate used as a base stand for a sign. Everything I needed and used other than the bolts used for mounting and the hitch pin came from the scrap pile here at the school...the bolts I picked up at the hardware store.

The gate does bounce up every so often down the road...I plan on welding an "upper plate" to the mount on the rear hatch to handle that. The body was reinforced using electrical box covers fully welded to the body where the hinge bolts passed through. Seems to hold pretty good, but with every thing I've fabricated myself, I see flaws in it and want to do all over again lol.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome. If you can get pics of it I would love it. I like how it looks and would like to do the same with mine. I like the stock Bumpers and would like to stay as stock as possible. Minus the lift that I am gonna get some day and 33" tires on her. Other then that I want to keep her as stock looking as possible. I did see a 2 door Explorer here in Colorado Springs that had a winch and still had the stock front Bumper on it. I would like to plan on getting a winch and still keeping the front bumper.

That's awesome. If you can get pics of it I would love it. I like how it looks and would like to do the same with mine. I like the stock Bumpers and would like to stay as stock as possible. Minus the lift that I am gonna get some day and 33" tires on her. Other then that I want to keep her as stock looking as possible. I did see a 2 door Explorer here in Colorado Springs that had a winch and still had the stock front Bumper on it. I would like to plan on getting a winch and still keeping the front bumper.

Yeah, I'll try and get some closer pics sometime. I'm with you on the stock bumper look, but I'm thinking the next build will start to stray from stock and lean towards custom fabrication (like this one isn't already...)

I haven't gotten any pics of the tire carrier yet [MENTION=277923]worms92explorer[/MENTION], but I should in the next week...

Haven't worked on the Explorer since the last post, but I have my "recovery box" ready to go!

IMG_20150512_184404_475.jpg

I was told that by the OPI badge on the box, it was used by sales people for nail polish/makeup. Cost me $5 at a garage sale 5 years ago and holds 2 tow straps (1 with hooks, 1 without), 12v compressor, road reflectors/flags, ratchet straps, shop rags, hand cleaner, 6 spools of wire, wire terminals, butt connectors, tape, spare bulbs, fuses, bungee straps, rope, zip ties, tire plug kit, and I think that's all...hope to have the tool box ready to go next week, since I'm still using it at the moment. :D

Teaser pic:

IMG_20150512_222236_630.jpg

Find out more next week... :D

[MENTION=277923]worms92explorer[/MENTION], here are some pics of the tire carrier.

IMG_20150513_211623_113.jpg

IMG_20150513_211635_950.jpg

IMG_20150513_211650_503.jpg

IMG_20150513_211703_707.jpg

Well, since the fiance fell asleep early (8 my time), made it out to the shop to do some work...

Thanks to [MENTION=194515]madbutcher[/MENTION], I realized the drive shaft spacer that I thought didn't fit and I had wasted $50 on, infact did fit, long as I put it on the correct end of the shaft... :rolleyes:

IMG_20150513_223248_067.jpg

I was having some rattling issues with the exhaust and have had to patch a few cracks in the past...a jimmy-rigged hanger and that should solve that.

IMG_20150513_223226_963.jpg

Since welding in the receiver, I never had taken the time to prime and paint the rear again. Pulled the rear bumper, wire brushed the areas and threw down some primer. While I was there, I started to weld on some reinforcement to the recovery points. They just looked too long and weak to me...

IMG_20150513_223333_094.jpg

IMG_20150513_225038_308.jpg

Unfortunately I ran out of welding wire before I could fully finish welding the one side. Be heading to the hardware store Friday and picking up some more to finish it all up...gotta get this all taken care of before Moab...errr, I mean, before I head back to Ohio... :D

If I had half of your skills, time, and tools I too could have a super sweet ride.

x2... I'm jealous of your skills and tools :salute:

If I had half of your skills, time, and tools I too could have a super sweet ride.

x2... I'm jealous of your skills and tools :salute:

Funny, cause I know my welding isn't the greatest, when it comes to engine stuff, I'm lost, I wish I had twice the tools I have to help get the job done better and quicker, and I wish I had more time. Thanks though guys! :thumbsup:

Thank you sir. I will see what I can do to get one done up.

I will say that I'd do it over again if I could, and this time use a pipe bender on the steel rather than cutting it and welding it back together...I'm sure it'd be stronger if it hadn't been cut and welded at each corner. It has some flex to it, so I might be adding in another brace before Moab....might. I'll be remaking the entire thing after I make a new rear bumper...though, it'll be in a few years more than likely lol.

I will say that I'd do it over again if I could, and this time use a pipe bender on the steel rather than cutting it and welding it back together...I'm sure it'd be stronger if it hadn't been cut and welded at each corner. It has some flex to it, so I might be adding in another brace before Moab....might. I'll be remaking the entire thing after I make a new rear bumper...though, it'll be in a few years more than likely lol.[/QUOTE]

I am gonna see about looking at a Bronco II Tire carrier and see if it will fit. Find one in a Junk Yard and put on an Ex and see how it looks. I've looked at Pictures and it seems like they would almost bolt up. Not sure and when I finally look at it I will let all know. Unless there is someone that already has.

I am gonna see about looking at a Bronco II Tire carrier and see if it will fit. Find one in a Junk Yard and put on an Ex and see how it looks. I've looked at Pictures and it seems like they would almost bolt up. Not sure and when I finally look at it I will let all know. Unless there is someone that already has.

It has been done before. However, you have to make sure that you use some bracing where the rack bolts to the body. The factory stuff is ok, but it is worth improving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has been done before. However, you have to make sure that you use some bracing where the rack bolts to the body. The factory stuff is ok, but it is worth improving.

Awesome thank you for saying something sir.

Back