Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

5spdman's slow and cheap XLT build

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by 5spdman, March 11, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. mr cribb

mr cribb US Army Retired Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Harviell, MO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 Chevy Z71, 93 X EB
    My wife hasn’t pitched too much of a fit about my projects, seeing as I have two presently my 94 Z71, and my 93 Explorer. Fortunately, only one of those two is in a state of is in an inoperable state at the very present moment. Granted it would only take a couple hours to get it back in an operational state.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Micah J

Micah J Member

City, State:
    AZ
    1994 Exploder
    Mine only does when it's long work hours followed by long expo hours. She loves to get out and use it tho!

• Like Like x 1
  4. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Stryker, OH
    91 Explorer XLT
    Well, I finally got out to the shop...had a little help come out too to get things done!

IMG_20190611_201836083.jpg

Got everything out in pretty good time too (for being my first big engine work if we're honest)...only issues were some plastic tabs breaking off of the plugs and not being able to get the dipstick tube out.

IMG_20190611_212637345.jpg

IMG_20190611_212648329.jpg

I should have attempted to get the manifolds off of the heads before I headed home for the night, or at least doused them in Blaster, but I failed to do so...guess I can swing by tomorrow and do so.

Not sure how I'll do it without getting anything in the engine, but I'd really like to douse the whole thing in degreaser and hose it off as it's quite greasy...oh well, making progress!

• Like Like x 2
  5. mr cribb

mr cribb US Army Retired Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Harviell, MO
    94 Chevy Z71, 93 X EB
    I remember my time with replacing heads on my old 92, as I failed to do the same thing when it came to the exhaust manifolds. I never did succeed in removing them, and bought the pacesetter headers as a replacement. I still have those headers and heads from said 92 Explorer that hasn’t been around in years. I plan on installing the headers on my latest 93 when I do the transmission swap.

6. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    I dont see all the marked ziplock bags with hardware in them. Lol

I have to do that, and tag connectors to know where everything goes!

I do spy a little one getting big tho. :)

7. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Stryker, OH
    91 Explorer XLT
    I didn't have any with me, but I either left bolts in their respective holes or threaded back to where they belong so as not to get lost...the connectors I'm not so worried about, it's remembering where to run all the wires lol...

And yes, he's getting big! Wish I had more time to spend at home just sitting inside with him, but sometimes things need done...

• Like Like x 2
  8. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Stryker, OH
    91 Explorer XLT
    Well, Thursday I went out after work (got rained out in the afternoon and had some time) and decided I'd get the manifolds off and the heads ready to take to the local engine shop. As fate would have it, I only broke 2 bolts.....and they were both on the heat shield! All the manifold bolts came out, no problem at all! Well one required a little lube and patience, but we're all good to go! Took the heads in this afternoon to be surfaced and the valves checked, should be back to me in a week.

Speaking of those broken studs...how vital is that heat shield around the passenger side manifold? There was a thin hose attached to it, not sure what for....

Also, my air intake, vacuum lines (to the filter) and breather tube(?...going from the intake tube to the valve cover) all kinda smelled like gas...something I need to look into? Normal? I can do suspension work, bearing and apparently rebuild a manual trans, but this is really the first time I've dove into real engine work...

9. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    If there is fuel in those lines, it's the fuel pressure regulator. Just replace it.

Congrats on those manifold bolts. Very cool indeed.

I would keep the heat shield, it kind of helps stuff from melting. mainly wires.

10. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Stryker, OH
    91 Explorer XLT
    Got it...heading to the interwebs to order some parts...

Will have to figure out how to replace the studs that broke off of the heat shield, but we'll get it done...

Got a call from the engine shop today...heads were mounted to the table getting ready to be surfaced and valves were tested for leaks...all of them failed. Getting a valve job done while they're there...

• Like Like x 1
  11. yostyexplorer94

yostyexplorer94 Yost Offroad Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    South Central PA
    1994 Explorer
    Callsign:
    yosty
    From my understanding the heat shield is an emissions item, designed to take the heat from your manifolds and pipe it into the air intake inlet tube. The plumbing on mine rotted off many years ago. I removed that shield also. If you are not planning on plumbing that shield back to your intake then I would leave it off.

• Like Like x 1