Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

6 Cyl - Blown Headgasket, HELP!

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by dsturch1, May 25, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. dsturch1

dsturch1 Member

City, State:
    Pennington, NJ
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    03 4.0 XLT & 98 5.0 XLT
    Well, after just spending $1000 last month to have my timing chain tensioner replaced, my Explorer just blew a headgasket. I have read about it, and done headgaskets on other vehicles, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a write up posted anywhere with step by step instructions on removing everything with pictures. I was also wondering if anyone knew and could tell me roughly how many hours the total job should take?

The shop wants a ton of money to do the headgasket, and I have another vehicle so I would rather do it myself, save the money and have the satisfaction of having done it.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Greenville, SC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
    camshaft timing required

I've never replaced the head gasket in my SOHC V6 but I know it can be done on either bank with the engine in the vehicle but the camshafts have to be timed after.