6 MIS report for 2014 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6 MIS report for 2014 Limited

blanchard7684

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
After 6 months of service (6 MIS) and 10,000 miles here is my experience with a 2014 Limited. 3.5L, FWD.

The good

3.5 L
Great economy for large vehicle. I am averaging 21.5-22 driving 78 mph.
Power and acceleration gives confidence when passing.
Engine map is great in multitude of weather conditions, altitudes, and fuel grades.
Based on history of 3.5 L, and my experience so far,I expect overall reliability to be superlative.

Transmission
Smooth shifts
History suggests it will be robust. No defects so far.

Ease of Maintenance
I maintain my own vehicles and ease of service is high on my list of traits to look for.
Oil changes are very easy--oil plug and filter are easy to access from front of suv.
Coolant changes look easy with the drain easy to see and grasp from front of suv.
Transmission drain is easy to get to and refills are a cinch. No filter to change.
No fuel filter to change.
Belt is easier to get to than most front wheel drives.
Spark plugs are always a pain on FWD, however this seems to be minimized on the explorer.

When a vehicle is easy to maintain by the end user, the vehicle will always out last expectations.

Electrical, features, and infotainment
These all work reliably, glitch free. Despite the loads of bells and whistles, they all work great. From infotainment system, power windows, power seats, air conditioned seats, power fold, remote start, security features...they all work reliably.

Looks
Best looking mid size out there in my opinion

Air conditioning
reliably freezes you and passengers out in 100+ degree weather.

Suspension, Handling
No noises after driving in a multitude of conditions, pot holes, curbs, etc.
Off road capability is not exactly 4-Runner or JGC quality, but you can cross a pasture without drama.
Handling is surprisingly good and confident at high speeds. minimal body roll.
No pulling left or right, and tires are wearing evenly.

Storage capacity
Acceptably high storage capacity. This is good since trying to upgrade in capacity means you jump into a full size SUV which typically adds another 15k-20k to the price and reduces economy 3-5 mpg.

The explorer has overall great storage capacity. I only miss full size suv capacity in a few situations.

Seats

Comfort is good to great.

The Bad

Minor defects

#1--"The Smell". Some would argue this is a huge defect. It is annoying, but you are always going to get exhaust smells into the cabin of your car and you have little control over it. Drive in a city next to busses, trucks, and the diesel truck fad...However it sucks when it is your car and passengers complain...and it is your brand new suv.

#2 Cowl noise. The cowl is barely attached to the vehicle and an obvious design flaw. This is a close second to the smell. You pay $40k for an suv and within 10k miles it sounds like its got 100k on the clock.

#3 Steering map and function. Lane changes when passing cause the system to freak out and over correct. Annoying as hell.

#4. Transmission dipstick location. You literally need a welder's glove to check the dipstick. Exhaust heat and the upper radiator hose are right in the way.

#5. Transmission fill level. Ok I tried to man up and grab the dipstick on the transmission. I noticed it was barely registering at the min level. Lame.

#6. Front bumper strength. I hit a bird at 70 mph driving off the lot. The bird impacted the bumper right near the fog light. This was apparently enough force to cause the plastic mounting bracket for the front bumper cover to snap.. The result was a bumper that was noticeably out of position. I replaced this at my cost (thankfully a 20 dollar part). The bracket is sooooooo thin that practically any impact is going to break it.

Would I buy again, or recommend it?

With extreme prejudice I would buy again or recommend. If the Smell could be reliably fixed, and the cowl redesigned, I would not hesitate.

Compared to my 2010 mustang GT the QC and attention to detail is noticeably worse.

Regarding your smell complaint have you checked to see if yours is part of the recall for this issue?

Back