60,000 Mile Service / Recommendations | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

60,000 Mile Service / Recommendations

I learned my lesson on a transmission "flush" back in 1979 when I had a transmission flushed at around 35,000, which was recommended back then. Less than 6 months later I had a transmission failure that cost me $1400 back then to have the tranny rebuilt. I will never have another done.

As good as today's transmissions and fluid are, I seriously doubt that it's necessary to service a transmission before 100,000. And then I still wouldn't do the complete "flush."

Here's the thing, a tranny flush is generally safe unless a tranny already has hard part damage. Then the flush can speed up tranny failure.

Even at 35k your tranny could have had a problem. I had my tranny go on my old Jimmy at 16k - thankfully under warranty.

Flushes up to 90k should be fine. 60k is fine. However, once you get over 100k there is a greater chance there is hard part damage to the tranny and a flush could help speed up the inevitable.

What do I do? I avoid flushes just to play it real safe, even though they are fine with a solid tranny.

I drain and refill. Do this three times over a two week period and you will have 80% new tranny fluid. I do this at about 80k. Once in the life of the vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm due for a 60,000 mile service.
Anybody have the FORD "official" schedule for this? or can I find it in my owners manual?

Does any one have a link to a good picture of a trans oil filter for the 1998 X 4.0 SOHC 6 cy 2WD!!!

Hi,

I have a 2017 Ford Explorer AWD with the 2.3L EcoBoost and coming up to the 60.000 miles.

I plan to let the dealer do the following:
  • Oil / filter change
  • Transmission Fluid Change (no flush) <-- does someone know how much dealers charge for this approx.?
I'm also considering the following but would like to get an opinion if this makes sense or not and what the approx. cost would be:
  • Rear diff fluid change <-- if not at 60k miles, when would you do it?
  • Injector cleaning <-- is that really worth it if the engine runs fine and rather buy some additive for an Auto Store?
  • Coolant?
  • Spark Plugs?
  • Others?
Ford change on warranty the PTO seal since it was leaking slightly. Also I just put a new battery and filters (cabin/engine) in.

Thanks,

We have a 2017 AWD as well. Ours has the 3.5 V6. Definitely recomment the differential service as well as PTU, which is looks like you have had done. My dealer offers a 4x4 service that includes diff and PTU for $300. Also, coolant flush and fill. And transmission service. Expect to spend in the $500-600 range at your dealer for everything, but in my opinion it is worth it. For injector clearning I like to use the Chevron Techron from time to time. I am not doing spark plugs until 100k on ours. Hope this helps.

We have a 2017 AWD as well. Ours has the 3.5 V6. Definitely recomment the differential service as well as PTU, which is looks like you have had done. My dealer offers a 4x4 service that includes diff and PTU for $300. Also, coolant flush and fill. And transmission service. Expect to spend in the $500-600 range at your dealer for everything, but in my opinion it is worth it. For injector clearning I like to use the Chevron Techron from time to time. I am not doing spark plugs until 100k on ours. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice. I assume when the Ford dealer refilled the fluid during the PTU seal replacement.
Agree $600 is not too bad especially about how much a big repair could be.

Did you do transmission flush or simple drain and replace fluid (which I would prefer)?

Will have to look into this Chevron Techron. Do you buy normally "Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner" or "Techron Fuel Injection Cleaner"?

If your engine isn't dual port fuel injected you might want to consider having carbon buildup cleaned from the valves. You might even want to look into installing a catch can to keep carbon buildup to minimum. Carbon buildup is an issue with direct injection engines. Especially so since your engine is turbocharged. I think waiting until 100k miles to do the rear differential, coolant, spark plugs and brake fluid is reasonable.

Hi,

I have a 2017 Ford Explorer AWD with the 2.3L EcoBoost and coming up to the 60.000 miles.

I plan to let the dealer do the following:
  • Oil / filter change
  • Transmission Fluid Change (no flush) <-- does someone know how much dealers charge for this approx.?
I'm also considering the following but would like to get an opinion if this makes sense or not and what the approx. cost would be:
  • Rear diff fluid change <-- if not at 60k miles, when would you do it?
  • Injector cleaning <-- is that really worth it if the engine runs fine and rather buy some additive for an Auto Store?
  • Coolant?
  • Spark Plugs?
  • Others?
Ford change on warranty the PTO seal since it was leaking slightly. Also I just put a new battery and filters (cabin/engine) in.

Thanks,
Your thread was merged with this existing one.
Your Owner's Manual contains a list of service intervals that owners can follow.

Peter

I believe the transmission on the 2.3L is not serviceable per Ford. At 60k miles I'd be looking at brakes, tires, plugs and turbo inspection. The turbo seals are weak and you don't want excess oil inside the intake.

I believe the transmission on the 2.3L is not serviceable per Ford. At 60k miles I'd be looking at brakes, tires, plugs and turbo inspection. The turbo seals are weak and you don't want excess oil inside the intake.

About all that you can do with the 2.3L transmission (6F35 I believe), is a fluid drain and replace as the filter/screen is internal. It doesn't have a dipstick so you can measure and put back what you take out or locate the level plug to verify levels through that procedure.

Back