Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

$600-$1,000 for a lift gate that is ALSO cracked? SERIOUSLY???

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by 2002GreyHD150, July 12, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 2002GreyHD150

2002GreyHD150 Active Member

City, State:
    DFW, Texas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 Mountaineer 4.6L AWD
    Wife just called 15 minutes ago... cracked liftgate let go... class action law suit is billions of minutes from anything....

www.car-part.com all over the USA... "cracked".. "Broken"... "less than perfect"... back glass... $400 was the low $$.... WTF!!!!

Ok Ford... I can honestly say in 30 years of loyal ownership you have done pissed me off!

ugh...

Rob

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. lynnboy021

lynnboy021 Active Member

City, State:
    billerica ma
    2002 xlt
    lol rob you think ford cares about you? ford made me spend alot of money i dont have on a damn tranny 3 times. so ya ford does not care about me too.

4. 1AJeremyD

1AJeremyD Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Mass
    95 XLT 4.0
    It's a very common thing. I have seen a lot of them crack after and have them come back saying that I cracked it somehow only to explain that it is a defect. Definitely sorry but you are not alone whether that's a good or a bad thing.

5. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Reading Pa
    1999 Eddie Bauer
    The Heat cycling is what causes the plastic to break because it is glued to the liftgate. The part is very reasonable if I remember correctly, only like 100 bucks but needs paint, install and new emblems so it adds up fast.

6. bender

bender Active Member

City, State:
    Johnstown PA
    '08 Limited
    I replaced mine for under $200 with new part and paint. part is approx $135 shipped and i had my sprayed OEM color by a body shop for $50. remove the old, apply the new and reused the ford emblem.

yeah it is a very common issue and kind of annoying, but do some research and you'll find it can be a reasonable repair.

**however, maybe I misunderstood your post, did the glass break, or just the plastic? if the glass broke, yeah you're into some cash.

7. Argentimage

Argentimage Active Member

City, State:
    MI
    2005 Limited
    Is this the hinges that cracked ($135) sounds like it, because the entire asy, glasss & all is $$$