$600-$1,000 for a lift gate that is ALSO cracked? SERIOUSLY??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$600-$1,000 for a lift gate that is ALSO cracked? SERIOUSLY???

2002GreyHD150

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L AWD
Wife just called 15 minutes ago... cracked liftgate let go... class action law suit is billions of minutes from anything....

www.car-part.com all over the USA... "cracked".. "Broken"... "less than perfect"... back glass... $400 was the low $$.... WTF!!!!

Ok Ford... I can honestly say in 30 years of loyal ownership you have done pissed me off!

ugh...

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol rob you think ford cares about you? ford made me spend alot of money i dont have on a damn tranny 3 times. so ya ford does not care about me too.

It's a very common thing. I have seen a lot of them crack after and have them come back saying that I cracked it somehow only to explain that it is a defect. Definitely sorry but you are not alone whether that's a good or a bad thing.

The Heat cycling is what causes the plastic to break because it is glued to the liftgate. The part is very reasonable if I remember correctly, only like 100 bucks but needs paint, install and new emblems so it adds up fast.

I replaced mine for under $200 with new part and paint. part is approx $135 shipped and i had my sprayed OEM color by a body shop for $50. remove the old, apply the new and reused the ford emblem.

yeah it is a very common issue and kind of annoying, but do some research and you'll find it can be a reasonable repair.

**however, maybe I misunderstood your post, did the glass break, or just the plastic? if the glass broke, yeah you're into some cash.

Is this the hinges that cracked ($135) sounds like it, because the entire asy, glasss & all is $$$

Back