6R60 trans fluid change | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6R60 trans fluid change

I just traded my 94 Explorer Sport in for an 07 STLTD loaded, and i love it. I bought a filter at adv auto prts, cost was 30.00. Turned out to be for 5 spd. Paid a shop 95.00 to pull pan and install new correct filter. Filter, 14.00. After 89k mi. Pan was very clean. It had an attached reusable gasket. I was surprised there was no material in the pan and very little metal on the installed magnet. It does shift a little funny so ill take it in for a TCM & PCM software checkup up to latest version per the stn. After that flushing into Amsoil. Im sure there is a different thread, but if you havent changed plugs you on a 3v, ure in for a surprise. Great info on this forum. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure if u go with the amsoil you get the low viscoscity one i think it says LV right on the front if I remember right... my trans felt 100 percent different/better after the switch.. I had the issue with the parts store filter as well giving the five speed one.. and the dealer wouldnt sell me one because they said I a) can not do it myself (I did), and b) it doesnt need to be switched.. as they normally dont even open the trans they just exchange fluid and consider it serviced.. I as well did mine at 80 some thousand and was also pleasantly surprised at the low amount of material on the magnet and in the pan/ filter.. even a one year old car (any brand) will have some shavings.. it is normal especially during breakin.. the plugs I sprayed night be4 to sit overnight be4 touching at all.. then only turned them very very slightly like 1/8 turn.. sprayed a little more.. then turned back and forth that same range u just loosened turn back and forth till it felt freed some then repeat process for next 1/8 turn or so.. worth the time a little monotonous but worth not breaking.. u can feel (and hear) how they can have issues they feel almost like theyre welded in there.. but take your time and follow the factory procedures listed in this site, basically what I explained.. and theyll come out.. I also suggest never ever ever wait until 100k miles to change them unless you really want a really big headache

I am curious about changing my fluid with amsoil.

You say that the temp has to be above 175 for the valve to open in order for fluid to flow. I am going to drop the pan and change put new fluid in. Could I not unhook both trans cooler lines and have the service going into a bucket and the return line maybe rigged up to a funnel and add fluid the whole time its pumping out? I assume that the return just dumps back into the pan? Will the trans hit 175 in just park? Or do I actually need to drive to get it up that hot? Thanks Mike

I used Ford service info after switching out it said something like put in reverse neutral, each gear back to neutral, reverse,drive, neutral then ran it at like 200 or 2500 rpms for a minute or two.. I did all while on a lift, then drove a couple miles... but I cannot find that paper I got it from my brother in law whos a certified mechanic and was able to print it off his work computer.. to get to 175 drive approximately 3 miles.. see this TSB 08-3-8 I followed steps like step 5 once I got off lift first drive and shifted awesome ever since: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=141623

comments

my transmission was fairly warm still when I changed fluid because I drove from my house to the shop to put it on the lift, but I did not do with it running or any type of live exchange.. pumped old stuff out, new stuff in.. it exchanged at least 90 percent of fluid proven by the amount of fluid i got out.. cleaned everything well in a parts bin.. very simple.. after changing.. do gear changes be4 driving then check fluid, and one last time after first drive. I did have to add very slight amount once I switched thru gears. The plug is the dipstick.. if Amsoil make sure you use LV trans fluid (low viscosity): http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...transmission-fluid/?page=/storefront/atl.aspx
I bought the 2.5 gal bottle and was good (listed at $109)

I guess you didnt do anything with the transmission update? We experience the bump all the time. I figured the fluid is getting old so its about time to change it all.

no I didnt ever get the update done, I first felt the stop bump at like 84-85k.. so decided to service myself.. just changed fluid, cleaned pan and filter, and it pretty much completely went away as did the rough park to drive bump.. and it overall shifted and behaved 100 percent better.. at the same time I switched to synthetic oil (royal purple happened to pick) with a K&N filter and took a fairly long trip to maine from PA about 400 miles averaged 21 mpg when best I ever got previous was 20.. it really felt like a new truck compared to be4 the switch over. (also had done plugs (autolite xp) and all new set of accel coils about 1-2k miles earlier want to fairly list all upgrades)

Sounds good I will be doing this fairly soon. Im just getting done swapping motors in my wifes explorer. I opened the lines and let some out. I bought a qt to dump back in for now. But I will be buying the LV stuff from amsoil in the next couple months.

were you able to pour it in thru the lines? I didnt mess with them.. just pumped out and back in with hand xfer pump in thru the plug

No I didnt even get a chance to check it hot yet. I pulled the the dipstick and it was overflowing cold. I was just going to pump some in the dipstick hole. I wanted to take it out and get it hot however I ran into issues and could not drive the car very far. (I have a plugged cat) So I have been tracking that problem for the last 2 days. Once I get the car to actually go over 50 MPH I will take it out and get the fluid hot.

Back