6r80 swap 2004 Ford Explorer DONE!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6r80 swap 2004 Ford Explorer DONE!!

LSXkilr

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrence, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
It's been a while since i posted in here. Most people are on FB anymore..

Anyway, Dora had well exceeded the built 5r55. To bring some of you up to speed who are not familiar with Dora. Or not have been to Dora the Ford Explorer

Dora is a Built 5.4 SOHC w/ Ported heads, Custom Cams a highly modified AED Supercharger kit that has a M122 blower from a GT500. Custom Return Style Fuel system running E112 Ethanol.

Swapped-in a 6r80 from a 2013 F150. Used a transfer case from a 2008-2010 Explorer. The trans is controlled by the US Shift. The Transfer Case is still controlled by the factory ECU. The Trans controller was really straight forward. -we have used them in quite a few other cars, so we were already familiar. Literally the hardest part was the all the problem solving and wiring with the factory ecu to make it NOT go into "reduce power" mode due to NOT seeing the trans...

I had to initially use TWO different software to tune it. SCT & HPT. SCT had tables that HPT didn't, but HPT would "read" my tune out of it. However, HPT had Trans codes SCT didn't. So I had to Flash it in with HPT...

Pain... Had to wait till SCT updated my software.... FYI I already am "R&D level" of view SCT Dealer. So literally the codes just weren't in the software..

Anyway, big pain in the ass. So glad it's done. It drives SO well!!

Also, on my LOADED Eddy Brake Dyno- Dora Made 541AWHP & 727.6 AWTQ!! FYI that is the Record on my AWD Dyno. For you number hunters out there... My AWD Dyno IS a Heart Breakers. For frame of reference had a full bolt-on 2008 SRT8 Jeep make 280AWHP/290AWTQ

Dora.JPG

40.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That’s awesome! I considered doing this swap also when i did my terminator swap. F150 trans and 06-10 explorer t-case. My 5R55 has held up really well so far though. I’ve been following this build for a while now. Good thing you didn’t hit the buck standing next to the road in your video at the 2:46 mark.

Nice set up. You have so many kool toys my mind is just spinning at the possibilities. From getting the Alltrac on a dyno to see if I hit the 500whp mark, to the fact that I'm dropping a stock 5.4 in my 03 Explorer. If I put my Edge tuner back in the 03 F350 dually can you reprogram my SCT Livewire for the Explorer? And did you use the 4.6 supercharger kit and intake adapters to the 5.4? Also wondering if the stock 5r55 is going to survive even a mild tune on the 5.4 or if I should just plan on doing the trans swap as I pull the engine.

My 5r55 took a beating for a while. I lost 1-2nd on the stock 5r55 when I had a M90 on the 5.4.
Then I went to a built 5r55. The built 5r55 just couldn't ever keep-up with my current build...

The stock 5r55 held-up for a while in the stock 5.4 and even a few months with the M90 on it.

Ah heck yes! US shift (Baumman) kicks ass....
that is one sick drivetrain you have there :)
thanks for sharing!

Sorry for the necro post. But this is a dream come true. And full of helpful info. I still have my 03 4.6 truck sitting on stands under a tarp, first car I ever bought, waiting for when I have time/money for a full rebuild and massive performance mods. I too have a built 5r55w, and find it lacking in keeping up with even a trick flow headed bolt on 4.6l. My third broken input shaft finally wrecked my 2500 rpm torque converter, hence her sitting on blocks. The 6r80 trans and a 5.4 swap with small boost for daily driving sounds like the ticket.

It's been a while since i posted in here. Most people are on FB anymore..

Anyway, Dora had well exceeded the built 5r55. To bring some of you up to speed who are not familiar with Dora. Or not have been to Dora the Ford Explorer

Dora is a Built 5.4 SOHC w/ Ported heads, Custom Cams a highly modified AED Supercharger kit that has a M122 blower from a GT500. Custom Return Style Fuel system running E112 Ethanol.

Swapped-in a 6r80 from a 2013 F150. Used a transfer case from a 2008-2010 Explorer. The trans is controlled by the US Shift. The Transfer Case is still controlled by the factory ECU. The Trans controller was really straight forward. -we have used them in quite a few other cars, so we were already familiar. Literally the hardest part was the all the problem solving and wiring with the factory ecu to make it NOT go into "reduce power" mode due to NOT seeing the trans...

I had to initially use TWO different software to tune it. SCT & HPT. SCT had tables that HPT didn't, but HPT would "read" my tune out of it. However, HPT had Trans codes SCT didn't. So I had to Flash it in with HPT...

Pain... Had to wait till SCT updated my software.... FYI I already am "R&D level" of view SCT Dealer. So literally the codes just weren't in the software..

Anyway, big pain in the ass. So glad it's done. It drives SO well!!

Also, on my LOADED Eddy Brake Dyno- Dora Made 541AWHP & 727.6 AWTQ!! FYI that is the Record on my AWD Dyno. For you number hunters out there... My AWD Dyno IS a Heart Breakers. For frame of reference had a full bolt-on 2008 SRT8 Jeep make 280AWHP/290AWTQ

View attachment 175114

View attachment 175115

Hi, I trying to make a 2012 mustang Gt awd can you help me

Would love to put a 5.4 and 6 speed in an old rain gutter ranger ooooh la la

Back