6x12 Enclosed trailer from GA to NJ. I need some advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6x12 Enclosed trailer from GA to NJ. I need some advice

So before you say i searched for an hour and got nothing. With that being said, I have an 03 V6 4x4 with 3.55's. I'm looking into buying a 6x12 enclosed trailer...900 miles away. So I would have to pull this thing 900 miles with my truck at 65 mph. Has anyone pulled something similar to this with my setup at these speeds? I currently have a 7x14 landscape trailer that weighs about 1200lbs and it tows pretty good behind the explorer, but thats flat. I'm worried about the wind resistance of the enclosed trailer fighting me back. Ive been told the new trailer only weighs 950lbs which shouldn't be an issue. Also, Is there a big difference between flat front and v-nose trailers as far as how they tow? Any input at all would be great. Thanks!

Here's what the trailer looks like btw.
http://royalcargo.homestead.com/Royal_6x12_Aluminum__009.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think you'll have too much trouble- not too much of it will be above the Ex, and it's a v-nose as well. Not terribly aerodynamic, but it should be just fine. I've pulled both, and pulled a V-nose similar to that one with Snowball, which was an OHV V6 and only had minimal issues with power on very steep hills, but that's because it was an OHV V6. :thumbsup:

JoeDirt! Yeah man I think I should be alright. I mean that explorer has the aerodynamic properties of a parachute so I'm thinking a v nose shouldn't really slow me down as long as its not too heavy. Looks like I'm going on a road trip!

Disengage od. My 2 cents

Yeah, most likely. But I have my tans temp gauge so I should be good.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2003/2003_default.asp

This is the Ford Towing Guide for 2003. For those with Fords other than 2003, just change the year and download. Invaluable.

You have 3400 lbs max tow rating. Any weight in the truck must be subtracted from that rating. Whether it's a 2000 lbs axle, or 3500 lbs, should be fine on the weight, assuming your not loading this thing like crazy.

Page 18 talks about frontal area. With the HD tow package, it's limited at 60 sq-ft. For you, with standard towing, you are limited to "Base Vehicle Frontal area". (Height x Width) of trailer should be no more than the (Height x Width) of your Explorer.

Something tells me you may be a little high on that frontal area. Obviously, this is a concern for higher speeds, not so much surface streets. For your trip, you may find yourself needing to lower the speed (assuming you are set on buying this trailer).

My trailer is a 6x12 v nose that weighs 1200lbs empty. I've towed it well over 5000 miles with my Ex, including a recent 1000 mile trip this month. The v nose makes it very aerodynamic as compared to a flat nose brick behind your vehicle. You won't be able to maintain 65 mph if you care about your Ex. Steep mountains (such as Mt. Airy, NC) slowed me down to 42 mph the whole way up and the trans temp gauge stopped climbing at about 170.

I turn OD off to get on the highway then when I hit 55 mph I turn it back on, letting it shift. It gets turned off too when I hit 55 mph climbing uphill again. My Ex gets babied though. Also on the flats, the trans temp gauge stayed around 140-150 with OD on.

Interesting! I've completed the journey and have some data. I wound up grabbing one in VA instead of GA. So only about 950 miles round trip. On the way down, with out the trailer, I baselined 19.8 mpg on regular gas with my 265/70/16 rugged terrains. (I'll take that!) My trans hovered at around 160-175 as usual at 75mph. On the way, in od, the trans down shifted at the slightest incline and quickly hit 190. So I disengaged overdrive. My trans immediately dropped to 160 with the engine at 2600 rpm's at 60 mph in 100 heat with the ac on blast! However pulled the trailer with ease. There was some struggle on the really big climbs in southern VA and western PA but we made it. I averaged 12.5 mpg on the way home and my engine temp stayed steady at 205. One thing i did not account for was the trailer is about 2 feet taller than the explorer which i think is where all the resistance came from. Under 60 mph, she tows great! however about 75, The wind resistance is INCREDIBLE! It was like towing a parachute. So, in summation, If your towing an enclosed trailer, bite the bullet at the pump and turn off overdrive. It's well worth it. Hope this helps. For the record all data was recorded using my ScanGaugeII.

Back