$700 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer/Project Frankentranny II | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$700 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer/Project Frankentranny II

Plagorizer, I know...:D
I recently acquired this ugly 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4X4 with 197k, for $700. It has some things that it needs, but then again, what would you expect from a $700 Explorer?
-Needs a Transmission, or reverse ring (reverse is out)-FIXED
-Roof liner is toast-FIXED
-Rear drivers side quarter panel is crumpled from guard rail hit
-Both bumpers are junk-FIXED
-roof has 2 dents-FIXED
-roof rack is all bent-FIXED
-Front drivers side fender is pushed out (common problem from the "Wal-Mart Kid" jacking vehicle up in wrong place).-FIXED
-Grille is crap-FIXED

I could keep going for another 30 things.

If you saw my thread, I had a chronicles going on putting a 5R55E transmission into the place of my old 4R55E transmission. I had to find out the hard way, got the 5R55E from the JY then found out it wont fit. Look's to be in good shape so I'm gonna sell it anyway. Still looking for a 4R55E transmission for under 400 bucks.

I will post up the entire list of crap it needs, (small things like a lug nut, headlight ect) I am type A and cannot stand broken things, misfit things, ugly things...I know, then you say "then you shouldn't of gotten an Explorer". :D I think it's a piece of art, rust or not. (guess what mine has the case of...yep, you got it.)

This thread, I will keep all of you people informed and updated on my Explorer project, which I like to call, "project Frankentranny II" :) I will also post up small fixes, and corrections that I found out myself personally that maybe some people don't know anything about.

Be aware, skeletal and freaky ugly pictures are about to stare you in the corneas, but don't be frightened, so much progress can only reveal how nice this Explorer can shine. It seems like junk yard find, but indeed, it is a diamond in the rough.

These are some pictures of when I first purchased it. Cost me $700 delivered to the door. Enjoy, and subscribe to this thread if you want to see this ugly Aunt Agatha turn into a beautiful piece of art and machinery, that will sell for less than KBB! Read ahead.

_DSC0259_zps51920509.jpg

Mine_zpse1832345.jpg

_DSC0260_zps34ac136e.jpg

_DSC0261_zpsaadbd8a5.jpg

_DSC0262_zps147066d8.jpg

_DSC0263_zpsc8a7d165.jpg

_DSC0264_zps27c4414a.jpg

_DSC0265_zps8c1c48e0.jpg

_DSC0266_zps9094042b.jpg

_DSC0267_zpsc061cf09.jpg

_DSC0268_zps6306886b.jpg

_DSC0269_zpsd4f70cd2.jpg

_DSC0270_zps08152a05.jpg

_DSC0271_zps24eb7d7b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

^^Of course. Why wouldn't I...?

Finally replaced headliner! :) Only thing's that broke in the process: Handle clips that the screw goes into, sunroof trim not big enough, and very minor headliner scratches, but it looks pretty good, at least better than the old one. NEXT: Custom adjustable shocks, all 4 corners, and than the TRANNY! And then we're done, and the vehicle is ready for sale.

Also unbent the roof(look's good now) and replaced the roof rack and sealed it. Look's really good already. Rest is cosmetic besides the tranny.

Will supply you with updated pictures as soon as I can.

Making good progress. Just curious, if you plan to sell it why go with adjustable shocks, or even bother replacing them at all? Also, what do you think you may get in your market. I;m finding the market tough to sell an suv right now, being the end of winter and with high gas prices...

Making good progress. Just curious, if you plan to sell it why go with adjustable shocks,
2 reasons:
1. They were only 20 bucks for all 4 corners total at pick a part
2. The shocks on the Ex right now are completely gone. Toast. Useless. They squeak like crap and they are a no name brand. Complete garbage.
or even bother replacing them at all? Also, what do you think you may get in your market. I;m finding the market tough to sell an suv right now, being the end of winter and with high gas prices...
You may be right in that it's been hard to sell an SUV in this high gas prices Obama economy, :D but at least mine is a V6, not a V8. It'll sell.

2 reasons:
1. They were only 20 bucks for all 4 corners total at pick a part
2. The shocks on the Ex right now are completely gone. Toast. Useless. They squeak like crap and they are a no name brand. Complete garbage.

You may be right in that it's been hard to sell an SUV in this high gas prices Obama economy, :D but at least mine is a V6, not a V8. It'll sell.

Well that is 2 pretty good reasons right there. I think there still is a market just may take longer. I think my issues is i'm selling a v8 awd... I can see why the v8 scares people. I just picked up a 5.0 f150, pretty sure it gets single digit mileage (can't check because I can't top off either tank, they both leak :rolleyes: )

Good luck. Keep posting pics as you fix her up.

OK will do. Will post up some new pictures hopefully tomorrow!

Sorry for the delay, soon I'll get the headliner picture. Had all of the cars lined up (including the little tractor) so I couldn't help but snap a pic. :)

ATTACH]

Tranny fluid smells as burnt as crap.

Got the pan out and there is absolutely NO metal shavings AT ALL. on the magnet, just gunk, I squished it between my fingers and there was no metal shavings yet my tranny's reverse is out?..:eek: Probably the reverse band then...no metal shavings...what does this mean?

That means your clutch packs are burnt out

That means your clutch packs are burnt out
You're answering the question about the burnt fluid, correct?

What about no metal shavings...is that healthy?

Thanks for the answer FIND.

The 'gunk' stuck to the magnet is METAL. Those were your clutches. It's just finely ground up. If your fluid is burnt and you have problems it's time to trash the old trans or rebuild. Most likely the particles in the fluid were helping to keep it going.

The 'gunk' stuck to the magnet is METAL. Those were your clutches. It's just finely ground up. If your fluid is burnt and you have problems it's time to trash the old trans or rebuild. Most likely the particles in the fluid were helping to keep it going.

Hmmm, the magnet on my truck was nasty black and it took forever to get that black sludgey stuff off my hands. I guess it was metal. Fluid was clean and not burned up. Shifts good still except a firm 1st-2nd gear shift. Must have something to do with it...

Normal for there to be some crud on the magnet, parts wear. Part of life :(

Tranny removal will start tomorrow! Will keep you all updated on it. There was an inch of gunk on the magnet, and also when my Explorer was test driven, it didn't shift once. Stayed in one gear. It's clear to me now, this tranny is TOAST. Might also rebuild it...thanks for all of your replies.

Just purchased a 4R55E for $600. If it doesn't work, I get my money back, being shipped from Arizona. Might as well bite the bullet.

EDIT: Also, I get a $75 core for the busted tranny in my Ex right now.

Got the two driveshafts out, and the transfer case as well. Also moved the starter and tied it up out of the way. The next step was to move the flywheel to access each nut. The problem is the flywheel isn't spinning without brunt force. Only moved it a tid bit. Any ideas why this would be stuck like this? Also, can you remove the tranny without having to remove these nuts? Will snap a pic of the headliner AND the transfer case soon...
Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks!

I would love some insight.

Back