$700 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer/Project Frankentranny II | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$700 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer/Project Frankentranny II

Plagorizer, I know...:D
I recently acquired this ugly 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4X4 with 197k, for $700. It has some things that it needs, but then again, what would you expect from a $700 Explorer?
-Needs a Transmission, or reverse ring (reverse is out)-FIXED
-Roof liner is toast-FIXED
-Rear drivers side quarter panel is crumpled from guard rail hit
-Both bumpers are junk-FIXED
-roof has 2 dents-FIXED
-roof rack is all bent-FIXED
-Front drivers side fender is pushed out (common problem from the "Wal-Mart Kid" jacking vehicle up in wrong place).-FIXED
-Grille is crap-FIXED

I could keep going for another 30 things.

If you saw my thread, I had a chronicles going on putting a 5R55E transmission into the place of my old 4R55E transmission. I had to find out the hard way, got the 5R55E from the JY then found out it wont fit. Look's to be in good shape so I'm gonna sell it anyway. Still looking for a 4R55E transmission for under 400 bucks.

I will post up the entire list of crap it needs, (small things like a lug nut, headlight ect) I am type A and cannot stand broken things, misfit things, ugly things...I know, then you say "then you shouldn't of gotten an Explorer". :D I think it's a piece of art, rust or not. (guess what mine has the case of...yep, you got it.)

This thread, I will keep all of you people informed and updated on my Explorer project, which I like to call, "project Frankentranny II" :) I will also post up small fixes, and corrections that I found out myself personally that maybe some people don't know anything about.

Be aware, skeletal and freaky ugly pictures are about to stare you in the corneas, but don't be frightened, so much progress can only reveal how nice this Explorer can shine. It seems like junk yard find, but indeed, it is a diamond in the rough.

These are some pictures of when I first purchased it. Cost me $700 delivered to the door. Enjoy, and subscribe to this thread if you want to see this ugly Aunt Agatha turn into a beautiful piece of art and machinery, that will sell for less than KBB! Read ahead.

_DSC0259_zps51920509.jpg

Mine_zpse1832345.jpg

_DSC0260_zps34ac136e.jpg

_DSC0261_zpsaadbd8a5.jpg

_DSC0262_zps147066d8.jpg

_DSC0263_zpsc8a7d165.jpg

_DSC0264_zps27c4414a.jpg

_DSC0265_zps8c1c48e0.jpg

_DSC0266_zps9094042b.jpg

_DSC0267_zpsc061cf09.jpg

_DSC0268_zps6306886b.jpg

_DSC0269_zpsd4f70cd2.jpg

_DSC0270_zps08152a05.jpg

_DSC0271_zps24eb7d7b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So finally got back to the Explorer project after a couple out-of-state vacations. Bought a Radiator from eBay and slapped that in with all the correct parts and it works beautifully as expected. Went for a test drive to recirculate the coolant throughout the engine. Transmission is not much better...now back the scenerio of, "wont kickdown unless let off of throttle". Also, there is a cluk 1 out of 5 times when shifting into drive/reverse. Goes manually into 2nd and 1st happily, but it just wont automatically get out of 1st nicely when driving!

Bloody.

Also, two same codes as last time. Shift solenoid B, and C. Already replaced C. O/D light flashed as soon as the O'D button was depressed.

I thought we were close...maybe this explorer isn't worth it? :( So close, too stubborn to give up now.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Very frustrating! Looking forward to seeing what the culprit is.

Very frustrating! Looking forward to seeing what the culprit is.
I'm going to find out what the culprit is sooner or later. I hope it is something thats not too complex.

100_7375_zps4bc521f8.jpg

Picture of the suspected problem...missing probe terminals. We'll see.

The terminals of that connector were standard. Moving on to different things.

Explorer project has been on hold for awhile due to snowy weather and nippy wind. Once the weather clears, I'll drop the pan and inspect the VB. I HOPE I find one of the solenoids or connectors fell out...you know what I mean...otherwise, I might have to pull the PCM and pinout the two transmission signal probes to see if the harness(s) is the problem. If it is, I'm gonna be kinda grumpy...:)

Wow it's been a long time since I checked in. If the wiring is messed up it's not good, that would mean a new harness and installing that is by no means fun, I had the job on a basic van and that was bad, I wouldn't even want to TOUCH an explorer

Wow it's been a long time since I checked in. If the wiring is messed up it's not good, that would mean a new harness and installing that is by no means fun, I had the job on a basic van and that was bad, I wouldn't even want to TOUCH an explorer
Yeah, good thing the main trans connector doesnt need replacing. 200k in NY on an Explorer, there has gotta be some harness that is rusted or altered...I'm not giving up till I fix this thing. :)

Ok, I will be able to start working on this thing again, now that Christmas is past. I'm guessing it could be clogged transmission cooler lines, which is what I should check. How should I clean them?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Here's some inspiration for yea. This was a 96 Eddie Bauer we did a soft restore on that was in pretty bad shape.

Ok, I will be able to start working on this thing again, now that Christmas is past. I'm guessing it could be clogged transmission cooler lines, which is what I should check. How should I clean them?

Suggestions are appreciated.

When I did my last trans swap , I Put a rag over the trans lines and used around 8-10 Psi with my air compressor to get all the old fluid out , I let gravity drain the stock aux cooler behind the grille and thats when I added a 2nd stock Aux cooler up front , you will only need one extra piece of hose if you install a 2nd fluid cooler up front , to run from one to the other , like this pic .
DSCF6747.jpg

Edit : , You will gain some extra fluid capacity , as well as gain more cooling area . Its a win win if you have a local yard to get a stock one from for reasonable , I think mine cost like $8 .

Here's some inspiration for yea. This was a 96 Eddie Bauer we did a soft restore on that was in pretty bad shape.
Yeah, inspiration to say the least. :) I wish I had the resources to make my Ex look like that...but I'm busy restoring another vehicle, and no more restoration will happen until the tranny is working. Man, those SEATS:eek:

When I did my last trans swap , I Put a rag over the trans lines and used around 8-10 Psi with my air compressor to get all the old fluid out , I let gravity drain the stock aux cooler behind the grille and thats when I added a 2nd stock Aux cooler up front , you will only need one extra piece of hose if you install a 2nd fluid cooler up front , to run from one to the other , like this pic .
DSCF6747.jpg

Edit : , You will gain some extra fluid capacity , as well as gain more cooling area . Its a win win if you have a local yard to get a stock one from for reasonable , I think mine cost like $8 .
Thanks for the recommendation. Would the symptoms of my ex be a bad tranny cooler? If thats the case le' time for JUNKYARD. :D

Thanks for the recommendation. Would the symptoms of my ex be a bad tranny cooler? If thats the case le' time for JUNKYARD. :D

It could possibly be the B solenoid , you said you changed C but not B right ? , I know its not fun nor easy to have to drop the pan and replace the fluid to change it , but it may be worth it to try it , if not you have a spare solenoid for later time , It couldn't hurt to flush the lines and the Cooler to see what color fluid comes out , I'm not real familiar with transmissions , still learning , but still try and help when/where I can . If it was mine , I would change the B solenoid and go ahead and flush the lines and cooler and maybe even install a new filter as well and check to see what it looks like just to be on the safe side while the pan is off .

It could possibly be the B solenoid , you said you changed C but not B right ? , I know its not fun nor easy to have to drop the pan and replace the fluid to change it , but it may be worth it to try it , if not you have a spare solenoid for later time , It couldn't hurt to flush the lines and the Cooler to see what color fluid comes out , I'm not real familiar with transmissions , still learning , but still try and help when/where I can . If it was mine , I would change the B solenoid and go ahead and flush the lines and cooler and maybe even install a new filter as well and check to see what it looks like just to be on the safe side while the pan is off .
Keep in mind, this transmission was completely rebuilt. He replaced everything almost.

Yes, I replaced solenoid C, and now the code reads both solenoids C and B. The tranny rebuilder guy said there was one solenoid he recalled that was slow. (Since there was a shift flare from 3rd to 4th) and the only thing the code read was solenoid C, so that is exactly what I replaced. (now tranny goes into limp mode/doesnt kickdown again)

I will flush the cooler and cooler lines and see what goes. If the problem still exists, solenoid B is coming out and a new one is going in!

Thanks.

So the message center (up top by the sunroof) suddenly starts working. I was going to perfomr that soldering fix that is widely known on SE but I guess I don't need to.

I'm not kidding, it's the small things like this that just keep me going. :)

Drove the Exx again. Same issues. This time, only code was Shift solenoid C. I'm taking a wild guess, maybe the part I put in fell out, or was faulty, OR was the wrong part. I sure the heck hope so. And I'm pretty stinking sure this is it.

Man...still haven't gotten to dropping the pan yet...windy/cold/snow...no fun. (speaking from experience) Gonna primer then paint fender with forest green jewel. Maybe Clear it if I have some spare solution lying around.

Don't know if I told ya guys, A/C/heat works. Dont know how but it is. Crammed so much happy crap into that plenum that is has no choice but to grab and rotate the door. :)

Also, those hood struts, got some perfectly good working ones and they werent strong enough to hold the hood up? Might make my own contraption with 2 each side...lol

Started it up today. Ran like a top. Purred like a kitten. Idled like an...Explorer.

Purchased 2 *wicked* strong gas "strong arm" hood struts. $20 bucks shipped to my door. If these don't work...something is seriously wrong. But these will work. Weird cuz the used ones that worked perfectly on another hodd couldnt hold this hood up worth squat. Whatever, these should work fine.
Also, trying to locate where I put that stupid SSC...:)

IMG_0231_zps10cd1f46.jpg

My Explorer and Sunset of the Western skies.

Brother amos! These struts are mad power! I barely have to lift the hood and they just fling the massive hood right up. No more crap! :D

Back