• Register Today It's free!

700R4 shift cable stuck

Dignan

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0
I have a 700R4 transmission with a hurst vmatic 2 shifter. Today when I got home and tried to shift into park it wouldn't go. I soaked the shifter in wd40 and tried to work it into anything other than N or D but it won't go. I finally decided maybe it wasn't the shifter and disconnected the cable. I get the same lack of shifting with a pair pliers on the cable and the shifter moves freely. So its not the shifter. Seized cable or something with the tranny?

Remove the cable at the trans and see if it shifts, if it does and the cable still doesn't move, replace the cable.

That is basically what I had in mind when I crawled under there. There was some rust on the cable. I soaked the cable with wd40 and then got back in the car and tried it. I worked it back and forth for a while and heard a pretty good clunk. I'm not sure if it was the tranny getting "unstuck" or the stuck cable breaking loose, but either way it started moving freely again. I lubed the cable pretty well and put it all back together and it has been working well ever since.

Back