1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

8.8 axle/driveshaft skid plate

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by corncobbcolin, February 29, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Nedwreck

Nedwreck Active Member

City, State:
    Kentucky, Y'all!
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '93 xlt, '92 4x4
    I do industrial machine maintenance at a factory that stamps Ford body panels (Yes, we used to do 91-94 explorer bodysides, hatches, hoods, roofs.. etc.. but we have nothing for them now).

You could prob'ly do that in one or two hits at 16spm (strokes per minute) in the right press, robot loaded and auto-ejected, but would it be cost effective? lol
    8.8's are pretty common tho...

However, a motivated fab shop with a BiG metal brake should be able to do the first one of these in an hour (or two TOPS), and any more after that get faster... (measurements, angles, weld-ons, all that stuff pre-engineered).

anyway... back to topic (and sorry for the ramble)...

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. acchan

acchan New Member

'00 sport
  4. obie

obie Active Member

City, State:
    Northwest Indiana
    2003 Sport Trac 4x4
    Shit yeah! I thought I was gonna hafta get one fabbed from scratch! Just ordered even though I know I can't quite afford it but at least I'm only buying one... I can just swap them between the trucks as needed :D

How did you find out about that? I've spent hours searching Google to find an 8.8 skid plate. Thanks man!

5. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albuquerque, NM
    1991 XLT
    Callsign:
    KG5BAQ
    Do they have a prototype yet? It looks big, I would like to see the actual skid on the diff. Making a 8.8 skid is still on my to-do list but so far I haven't been able to get a cheap 8.8 housing to work from. I also looked at my Explorer and there isn't a lot of room between the pinion and gas tank with minimal lift. That is why I would like to see a picture of the skid installed on the diff to see how far it does stick out.

Let us know how it works out Obie!

6. mounty71

mounty71 It's green, not gray. Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Oakland, CA
    '00 Mountaineer
    I'm swapping another 8.8 in my truck soon and was thinking this would be a good time to start making one, but that one looks pretty well-designed. I was thinking of attaching it at a 3rd point to the 3 holes where the 5th shock attaches on the side of the pinion. Hmm...that just gave me another idea. I'll report back soon!

7. obie

obie Active Member

City, State:
    Northwest Indiana
    2003 Sport Trac 4x4
    Well, they just updated their website to say its in pre-production right now with a expected September 30th ship date.

8. whitetrash96

whitetrash96 Active Member

City, State:
    East Kootenays
    '92 Explorer
    Heres what I saw on the trail for an 8.8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Willy Worthy's old grand cherokee, he installed it for an issue of Fourhwheeler. It's made of 1/8" material formed in a garage using hand tools. I couldn't find the article online but I know its out there. There was a series of articles on his jeep, 'Ain't it grand' and later 'ain't it grander'.

9. ricky8587

ricky8587 Active Member

City, State:
    Renton, Washington May Valley
    1994 XLT
    Any updates on the Kevins offroad skid plate? They still list it as in pre-production??

A friend of mine is getting the AEV rear skid for his dana 44 and he offered to let me see if and how close it would be to fitting a 8.8

10. Flip4ford

Flip4ford Active Member

City, State:
    Newton, KS
    94' Sport
    James Duff used to make one with an "axle truss" I bought mine on Ebay for $75 and through the truss away. I bought my diff cover from a company called SOLID - it is tough and works great.