Mr. Truckles

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hello everyone,

I've been running with a very messed up rear diff for awhile (loud, grinding, silver oil, etc) and I finally have the time to set it right. My ex is an '02 XLT which started out as a D4 3.73 Limited slip, but when I installed my locker I had to throw it all together to make it in time to an off road event so I had to throw in an open carrier from a crown vic just to get it done because spartan and aussie lockers don't work in LS carriers.

My question to all of you is whether or not there were any 3rd gen models originally equipped with a 3.73 open diff (axle code 46). My guess is that it would be in a V6 model without the towing package? Any help would be greatly appreciated as the sooner I can spot one in the junkyard the sooner I can get it out of there :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most common are 3:55 open and 3:73 LS. I'm sure there's some open 3:73s out there but there arn't but so many.

If the rear diff you have now is messed up, don't you have to build one anyway(change bearings and set up)? If so, why not use any diff, even yours, and have it set up with the locker you want? You can't just swap in the Spartan etc, without doing the side shims etc, can you? I'm not familiar with those made to use with an open carrier, so I'm asking how it works.

The spartan is a "lunch box" locker. It replaces the 4 spider gears in the open carrier, no need to reshim carrier or even remove it sometimes.

The spartan is a "lunch box" locker. It replaces the 4 spider gears in the open carrier, no need to reshim carrier or even remove it sometimes.

Thanks, so it only affects the center guts of the diff. I may have read that before, but I couldn't envision what could change without requiring messing with the side shims.

Are those IRS rear carriers as good to work with as the old 9" rears? I've swapped a few 9" rears before, just the whole carrier(heavy as hell). Those were the good old days, funny.

They're not too bad to work on really as long as you have a good way to lock it down to your workbench. We have a u-pull-it junkyard nearby and there are a ton of 3rd gens in it now so it would be a piece of cake to grab a code 46 and pop the locker in it at home. With an 8.8 you can pull the spider pin out without even dropping the carrier!

Back