1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

85 Bronco II coil issue

Discussion in 'Bronco II' started by dioalp, July 9, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. dioalp

dioalp New Member

City, State:
    dioalp@yahoo.com
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1985 Bronco II
    I'm new to this forum but not new to my B2 which I've owned for 10 yrs having bought it used with 84K miles. It's a 4x4 2.6l 5 speed now with 186k mi. Ok now the history:

Like many I continue to have challenges with the TFI and stator. I've replace both a couple times but they failed quickly until I discovered a ground missing. After fixing the ground issue it took about 2 months for it to quit for the 3rd time leaving me stranded, agin .... ug! While testing the wires for faults I discovered that the green (ground) wire leaving the coil started smoking. I turned off the ignition and discovered the wire going to one of the larger wire bundles had shorted or grounded on the pwr steering metalic hose connector and burned completely thru. This wire as it goes into the wire bundle has a 1/2" x 3" rectangular molded rubber block that has a capacitor on the inside. It's stamped with CRC 22k 5%FA5 on the cylinder. (I think this is a capacitor)

Now the question: This molded block melted the wire just outside the block and part way inside, preventing any repair. I opened the block to see if it could be fixed and attempting to solder a new lead to one end of the capacitor the wire end of the capacitor melted off..... dumb me... I should have used a heat sink!

What the heck does this capacitor do and can it be eliminated?

I believe at this time this item may be the reason why the TFI failed... again!

Thanks for any replys.... Dennis

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Martinsburg WV
    84 BII "Li'l Samson"
    Generally a capacitor stores energy so that whatever it's connected to gets a little boost.
    For example take a residential AC compressor that sits out side your house. They're is generally a fan capacitor that helps get the condenser fan started. There is also a compressor capacitor that helps to get the compressor up and running. These two mechanical devices both require a lot of amps to get going.
    Most capacitors I've tested have the amount microfarhads (units of measurment) listed on the outside. As long as they're within a certain % they're OK. I would not take it off.

4. dioalp

dioalp New Member

City, State:
    dioalp@yahoo.com
    1985 Bronco II
    Ok I'm wrong according to my electrical engineer neighbor. It's not a capacitor but a resistor. Apparently it's purpose is to reduce flow of electricity to the TFI module, supposedly preventing it from frying. The manual of course doesn't explain this but repeated google searches does.

Now I'll have to obtain a like item from radio shack and if I'm lucky it will return the B2 to the road. Shorting the lead to the TFI certainly will prevent the ignition from functioning.

Thanks to all for your responses.