• Register Today It's free!

86 Bronco II loss of power

eflat1

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Bronco II 2.9 4wd
I have an 86 Bronco II 4wd 2.9 Eddie Bauer and it starts right up every time, hot or cold my problem is that I lose power going up-hill, I will be going 45-50 mph and then hit a hill and half way up it losses power and slows to about 30 mph and then a lifter starts knocking and gets pretty loud by the top of the hill but once the road levels off the power is back and within a couple of miles the lifter noise goes away.
I have had the fuel pressure checked, replaced the 02 sensor, fuel filter and catalytic converters, The diagnostic came back with an EGR code but the mech said that wouldn't cause my problem and I pass emissions with no problem. The engine doesn't backfire but sometimes when it first starts up the idle will go from 900-1000 and drop to around 500 and then back to 900-1000, it will do this a few time and then it will be fine it only happens right after I start it up. Any ideas? I'm stumped...

once engine is hot i lose power, im havin the same problem

something is screwing with your timing I think, try the ignition control module on the back of the distro, you will need the ignition control module tool that just about any parts store sells and a new module, about 30$.

eflat your problem sound like what i have on my bronco, thanks j

Back