86 Ranger fuel pump problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

86 Ranger fuel pump problems

could the eec (electronic engine control or computer) not work? and that could be the problem? How much do they cost? I have two of them; one installed and the other sitting. Is it bad to change them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much does a eec cost?

should I take it to get it diagnosed?

nova801428 said:
does anybody know a basic price of a diagnos? will it work,or just screw me over?
Depending on the shop your looking at $65/hour for them to trouble shoot. A descent shop should be able to find the problem in an hour :thumbsup: , a not so descent shop may never find the problem (but will offer to replace components until the problem is fixed :thumbdwn: )

yes it is possible the PCM is bad itself. They are $350+ new, $35-65 at a junk yard.

You NEED TO TEST the wiring at the fuel pump relay and fuse for power before you start throwing $$$ at it.
Being a 86 model it is VERY likely that your wiring is old and brittle and has issues, trust me.

Just keep in mind as mentioned before, the fuel pump will only have electrical power to it for just a few seconds when the ignition is turned on without starting the engine. I don't know where electrical power to the pump is shut off but I would guess that happens at the relay.

Figured it out?

i think I figured it out. O.K., I replaced both of my relays and the pumps don't work, so I messed around with the relays and noticed only one clicks. So, I figured out that one of the relay plugs is bad and then I bypassed it and they came on. I tried to start my truck and it won't start. So I took off my cap and rotor and were both corroded! Awsome! Thanks for the help that this forum has gave me.

I'm having the same problem. I'm getting power to the relay, but no power to the inertia switch or the pump. I have a 2000 ford ranger. help if at all possible

So, nothing has worked yet. I can dump some gas in the intake and it will fire, but nothing yet. Please help

Instead of bypassing the wiring, try to put in new relay sockets. After you do this, listen for the sound of the pump turning on for a few seconds, then turning off. Try to start it after this.

Are you talking about relay connectors? I already replaced the fuel pump relay connector and it made no difference. I took off the fuel hose and turned the key on and no gas came out. I also took off the fuel filter between the pumps. I also have no engine light on and I no longer has spark. I replaced the coil today , thinking it was the problem, and I still have no spark. Why won't this ranger work? Can the pumps be so weak that they don't provide enough power for the gas to be pressurized for the engine, or are the pumps messed up and they don't want to operate but only when I jump them?

right next to the fuel pump relay is another realy (looks just like it ) change that one to ,,,,i had the same problem with my 91 i changed the pump relay nothing,then i took the old pump relay and change the next relay with it ,,and it runs great now.could be something diff on your ,but i,d try it........you can use a jumper wire on your pump relay to ....too make your pumps run too just to check pressure though not for driving

I replaced both the relays (fuel pump and eec) and did not work. There seems like there is not enough pressure to run even if I jumped them. but, now I have no spark!
Just keep getting bigger problems by the minute. Thanks for the suggestions

nova801428 said:
I replaced both the relays (fuel pump and eec) and did not work. There seems like there is not enough pressure to run even if I jumped them. but, now I have no spark!
Just keep getting bigger problems by the minute. Thanks for the suggestions
if you jumped your relay and it didnt run your pumps constently ,then ether your fuel pumps are shot or there a short in your harness to them??far as spark,i didnt have any ether with mine,if there a problem with the fuel delivery system ,or the ingnition module the computor dosent let it spark......sorry i cant be more help

Please help.......I have no power to pumps when key is on, I can jump the pumps and they turn on, relays have been replaced, enertia switch is fine, I get power from the igntion to the relay, I get power from the battery all the time, and when I ground all of that including the fuel pumps on the relay, they jump on but they do not shut off and they stay on for ever unless I unground it. The eec should ground the pumps for three seconds, I replaced the eec too, when I turned the key, the pumps came on and it has not since came on. I have ran and drove my truck before, it just died.....please help

already did, forgot to mention that. I checked them by pulling on each wire coming from the fusible link and if wire doesn't come out of it, then it is fine, is that how I am supposed to check to see if they are good?

can't I just test how much power I am recieving from the fusible link and how much power I get off of the battery then minus the difference?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back