89 bronco 2 - 5 speed rebuild

scubacy

Reaction score
City, State
AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II
Hey all,

My son's 89 bronco 2 is losing the synchro gear in 4th. I don't know if it's worth rebuilding, or swaping out for a 1990 B2 5 speed I found at the junk yard but I don't know it's condition...
Also I've been looking for a trans repair manual to see if it's something we can tackle. Does it require special tools? What would you guys do if you were new to trans rebuilding?

Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check on e-bay, they often have kits for the Toyo-Koygo 5-speed that is in the Bronco II (Mazda). Not sure what special tools are required - but with some creativity, anything can be rebuilt - even if you need to build a puller or tool.

Good luck!

Bill

If it's only the syn. I would hold on to it and rebuild it whether you got another tranny or not. The knowledge alone, of replacing the syn would be worth it.

Yes, Mitsubishi FM146 (the M5OD is a possibility on some '90s, though it's pretty rare it seems).

ragajungle,

Very good information on the FM 146. Sounds like a good idea to at least do the simple syncro rebuild with the updated part before there is further trouble.

Bill

I need to do mine too.. I am guessing after reading a few posts on here that it is pretty straight forward, the hardest part is getting the tranny out.. after that it is just a shop press and patience needed.

Thanks for the info everyone! I can get a 5 speed out of the same year ranger for $130 so I'm going that route.
And like rookieshooter mentioned I want to keep the old one and see what we can do with it

Back