• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer Brake Lines

J08j06

Reaction score
City, State
Niles
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
So I ended up blowing my brake line from the master cylinder to the rear and from the master cylinder to the front. I was just wondering how hard it is to change the brake lines plus hoses, especially the line going to the rear since it runs between the fuel tank and the frame.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

best thing about running new brake line is you dont have to follow factory routing. you can run lines any where you like as long as you secure it to something. its not hard. roll of tubing and some fittings. hardest part is double flaring the lines. that and finding the right rubber lines.

I have another question, how hard is it replacing old brake hoses that the ends are severely rusted. Any tips?

penetrating oil. if that doesn't work you can try to heat them. i've had success cutting the old line close to the fitting and using either a socket or vise grips

Yes, 6 point socket or vice grips will get them. If its the rears, consider just buying new wheel cylinders if they are old.

if the old fittings are really bad, start a few days before with penetrating fluid. then cut the old line as close as you can get to the fitting. insert a nail or piece of metal coat hanger or something into the center of the fitting. putting something in the fitting helps to keep it from collapsing when you try to take it out.start with a socket to remove it.

if the old fittings are really bad, start a few days before with penetrating fluid. then cut the old line as close as you can get to the fitting. insert a nail or piece of metal coat hanger or something into the center of the fitting. putting something in the fitting helps to keep it from collapsing when you try to take it out.start with a socket to remove it.

Great way to handle that problem!

Thanks for all the advice, I got the drivers side brake hose off plus the line going to the passenger side. Just have to get that brake hose off, which it seems like a pain because of the location.

Back