Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

91 Explorer Interior Light Issue

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by spidergirl, August 27, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. spidergirl

spidergirl New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1991 Ford Explorer XL
    Firstly, I'd like to apologize for my lack of general car knowledge. :) I bought a 91 Ford Explorer back in May and while she's (mostly) mechanically sound, she needs a bit of TLC so I'm learning more about how to go about car repairs and whatnot. (Thank you Haynes manual!)

Since I bought it, the interior light has never worked properly. I discovered that when the fuse in in place, the light stays on. All the time. Only way to shut it off, is to remove that one fuse. (When I bought it that fuse wasn't even in place)

I'm wondering how I can troubleshoot the issue. If I don't have it working properly, it's not that big of a deal, but if it's something I can fix, I'd like to.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. larrydd999

larrydd999 Active Member

City, State:
    Port Angeles, WA
    92 XLT, 94 Limited
    This is NOT the place to be concerned about lack of general car knowledge, all of us started that way at some point. Looking at my '92 wiring diagram, one side of the dome light bulb is at ground potential, meaning it's electrically connected to the car body. The other side of the bulb (electrically speaking) goes to quite a few places before it connects to the positive side of the battery, any one of which could be a problem. My first suspicion would be one of the door switches has failed and is always 'on' whether or not the door is open. A copy of the wiring diagram (available for downloading on this site) and some patience should allow you to find the problem. It's also likely someone else on this site has already found and solved the same problem as you have.

4. Centaurious

Centaurious Active Member

City, State:
    Pensacola FL
    1994 Explorer Sport
    First check to see if the headlight switch is working properly. If you rotate the knob while the fuse is installed will the lights go off?

5. iLoveMyExploder

iLoveMyExploder Active Member

City, State:
    Texas
    1993 Explorer XLT 4X4
    indeed!

that's exactly what I was going to say :salute:

6. spidergirl

spidergirl New Member

1991 Ford Explorer XL
    The headlights work, but I did notice the knob felt a bit loose. I'm going to have to look into that.

7. Centaurious

Centaurious Active Member

City, State:
    Pensacola FL
    1994 Explorer Sport
    On these older Fords rotating the Headlight switch controlled the dash brightness. When it was rotated fully clockwise past a stop it also turned on the interior lights. Someone coming from the multi-function lever that controls turn signal, headlight dimmer, wipers, etc, are used to a headlight rocker switch and a dash dimmer wheel.

8. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 Blue Bomb!

1991 & 1994 Explorers
    I hate to admit but that was probably my first WTF frustration moment with my Explorer when I got it. I was wiring up the stereo and checking things out. When I was all done, I closed the door and the interior lights stayed on. Took me about 10 minutes to realize it was the knob, I had fully rotated it into the 'click' position.

We Support Our Troops!