1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

91 explorer killing battery ??????

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by 2002BLGT, December 25, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 2002BLGT

2002BLGT New Member

City, State:
      Bedford
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      91 XLT
      new battery , new alternator , if I let it sit for more than 2 days its dead , from what I have read on here it seems it may be the fuel pump relay , pulled them today and it seems there are two of them that will kill the power to the pump a green one and a brown one , which one is the more than likely problem , checked the wiring on both , green one IF I checked it right and thats a big if seems to be doing fine , key off it has one hot and one ground , turn the key on and you have 3 hot and one ground .....one signal and one output .....other one I didnt have time to check but its brown and it also kills power to the pump if I pull it , should I just replace it and cross my fingers , what if it turns out good , what is the next thing or things that I should check for ????????????? I am in VA and its probably gonna snow here soon , I need this thing running again ......

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      The green one is the fuel pump relay (or it usually color codes blue from the factory after 14 years, there's no guarantee it's the factory relay). The brown one would be the EEC-relay. Both relays figure prominently in the operation of the fuel pump. If you don't have a wiring diagram, I would suggest getting one (try the vehicle repair guides at www.autozone.com if you don't have any others).

While the fuel pump relay is possibly sticking on causing the battery to drain, I would verify that this is actually your case. Is the fuel pump on with the key off?

4. unclemeat

unclemeat Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Richmond, VA
      91 sport
      I am having the same problem in my X. I was going to make this exact post, but I did the search and this seems to be a relatievly common problem in older explorers. I thought it was the battery or posibly the alternator. Then yesterday morning I was driving it and when I cut it off I could hear the fuel pump continuing to run. I pulled the fuse and the pump stopped. I am going to try to replace the fuel pump relay switch and see what happens.

5. 2002BLGT

2002BLGT New Member

City, State:
      Bedford
      91 XLT
      nahh mines cutting off as far as I can tell but what are some other common places these things seem to get current draws from ??? and could there still be a draw from that relay even though the pump is turning off ??? or is there no chance of that ???

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106049&highlight=battery+drain

reading this post I recall , not everytime but I believe a few weeks ago when I put the alternator on I remember the pump coming on just from hooking up the battery , but when you cycle the key it cuts on everytime to prime it , and then you dont hear it with the key on, but its still got power coming out of the relay right ??? , so would it be safe to say it could be doing this with the key off and draining it but you still dont hear it ????? I am confused to say the least , my current method of testing it is that I have pulled the relays and fuse and I am going to let it sit a couple days and go from there , if its dead I will look elsewhere if its not I am replacing both relays anybody got any better ideas ??

Last edited: December 26, 2004
    6. Eneurb

Eneurb Active Member

City, State:
      Ajax, Ontario, Canada
      1998 Limited
      One easy test to perform is to disconnect the negative battery cable, and depending on what you have available hook a test light or fused ammeter in line with the cable end and the battery post. With everything turned off, and the doors closed, the light should illuminate quite dim, or the ammeter should read at less than 0.5 amps. If you feel it is high, or the light is too bright start to pull fuses until the meter reading drops, or the light dims. Start with using the 10 amp setting on an ammeter, as not to blow the fuse when you open the door to get at the fuse panel. When you feel you've located the fuse, now find out what that particular fuse protects. You may find a light is sticking on, i.e. hood lamp switch, or glove box switch. Also disconnect the alternator voltage regulator, and check to see if you still have a problem. Just because the alternator is new, doesn't necessarily mean it's good.

7. 2002BLGT

2002BLGT New Member

City, State:
      Bedford
      91 XLT
      well I am stuck at work today , my dad is going to have the battery tested while today , my friend borrowed my meter so I will have to track him down to see if I can get it back by tonight ...

8. 2002BLGT

2002BLGT New Member

City, State:
      Bedford
      91 XLT
      update , battery tested fine , put in one relay it stuck full on first time we hit the key , so we knew we had a bad relay and it was brand new , old relay went back in and was cutting off but when you turned the key off it was running for about 2-3 seconds after the engine quit....got another new relay exchanged for the bad one and all seems to be fine now , pump quits with key now ...... before I had a slight arc on the battery post when reconnecting it , now its not a bit of spark when you connect the battery back up ....keeping my fingers crossed

9. JZXplorer

JZXplorer New Member

City, State:
      Murells Inlet, SC
      1992 Sport 4x4
      same problem

I having the same problem but I dont think its my fuel pump relay. Now I need a way to find the drain on the battery. Any tests you guys can tell me that can pin point the problem fast? I have also replaced the battery and the alternator.. the new battery went dead in one day...... please I need your help :thumbdwn:

10. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      standard test goes like this:
      1) disconnect a battery cable.
      2) connect an ammeter in between cable and post. Ammeter needs to be able to read up to 10 A.
      3) Note current reading. It should be several mA (draw for computer/radio to maintain memory) if everything is working right. If it's more than .1 A, proceed.
      4) Start pulling fuses one at a time, noting the effect of each fuse on the current draw. When you pull a fuse and see a significant drop in the current draw, then you know there's a problem in that circuit, and you can go from there.

11. JZXplorer

JZXplorer New Member

City, State:
      Murells Inlet, SC
      1992 Sport 4x4
      I did that... Now my question is what circuits should I have power to when the xplorer is off??

12. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      It's been a while, but I think the only two that should draw current are the EEC circuit (computer memory) and the radio (radio preset memory), and together they shouldn't be drawing more than several mA.
      As for where you should be able to measure 12 V, there are more places -- any good wiring diagram should be able to show you where the hot wires are, and which ones should be cold.

13. JZXplorer

JZXplorer New Member

City, State:
      Murells Inlet, SC
      1992 Sport 4x4
      Thank you... now I have another problem... When I turn my head lights on my CD turns off then back on.... Does anyone else have this problem or has even heard of it happening? (how can I fix this)