1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

91 Explorer Need help with 2 problems....

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by XLRRP, December 5, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. XLRRP

XLRRP New Member

City, State:
      Santa Rosa, Ca
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1991 Explorer Sport
      Hi,

I just went on a Christmas tree run with my 91 Explorer Sport and noticed two problems and was hoping some of you could give me tips on what to check first. I have some ideas but would like to hear from some other Explorer owners.

My rig is totally stock with a 6 cylinder engine and an automatic tranny. It also has the rear anti-lock brakes. It has 115,000 miles. (front disc, rear drum).

1) While driving off road on icy snow, my left rear wheel will not lock up. My front wheels lock up easily when applying the brakes and most of the time my r/r tire would lock, but I couldn't get my l/r to lock. I even tried to get it to lock up with the E-brake and couldn't.

NOTE(when I first got this rig I discovered that the l/r wheel had the brakes adjusted so tight, the wheel would hardly turn by hand so I backed off the adjuster a few clicks). (Also, the rear brake pads looked okay)....

2) While driving in 4 wheel drive, I hear a loud clunking sound coming from the left front. It only seems to make the sound while I'm applying the throttle. When coasting down hills I didn't hear it. It was pretty loud and I ended up only turning on the 4wd when I had to in order to stop the noise. Doesn't make it in 2wd at all.

Thank you for any help....

Chris
      Santa Rosa, California

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jared ajlouny

jared ajlouny Active Member

City, State:
      san jose, california
      '95 XLT 4X4
      snow in santa rosa?

4. XLRRP

XLRRP New Member

City, State:
      Santa Rosa, Ca
      1991 Explorer Sport
      Not in Santa Rosa.... LOL.... Covelo (Mendocino National Forest).

5. xtreme explorer

xtreme explorer New Member

City, State:
      dartmouth ma
      94 XLT
      hi the noise you hear in the front could be your auto locking hub starting to let go. to be sure you may want to take off your front left tire and slip the hub off. if you turn the hub upside down and then up right you will hear the clunking sound if it is no good.

6. savant

savant Member

City, State:
      Northwest Indiana
      1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4
      Clunking in the front could also be a u-joint. To find out, put on the e-brake and leave it in neutral. Get underneath and rotate the driveshaft back and forth by hand (just a small amount of rotation is enough). If your u-joint(s) is bad, you'll hear the clunking, and will probably be able to visually ID which joint or joints are bad.