Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

'91 Explorer Sport - Bad Starter?

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by HappyBuddaH, December 6, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. HappyBuddaH

HappyBuddaH Member

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '93 Sport - '03 Ranger
      I thought I just had loose battery terminals as I would get lites and radio and a cranking sound, just wouldn't turn over. But I could beat on the terminal and it would fire up. Now thats not working and i'm thinking it might be my starter. any ideas or an under the hood diagram to find the starter would help. thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Blacksheep Josh

Blacksheep Josh Slinky+Escalator=Fun

City, State:
      Statesboro, GA
      '01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
      Your battery cables might be corroded and not letting through enough voltage to enable the starter to turn over.

I'd recommend first taking the starter and having it tested, that'll tell you if it's the starter or if you need to look else where.

4. HappyBuddaH

HappyBuddaH Member

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      '93 Sport - '03 Ranger
      yeah, funny story really...
      Before taking the starter off I had my wife jump behind the wheel (showed her what pedal was the clutch) and had her turn the key. my belts and everything were turning so that kinda ruled out starter. I gave a little push to all of my spark plugs & wires & it started right up. So i guess the moral of the story is... it isn't always a $100 problem.

5. JTX

JTX Well-Known Member

City, State:
      New Mexico
      94 xlt
      You should still clean your battery terminals so you don't have problems later one. Baking soda and water will fix you up!