91 Explorer wont go in reverse. help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer wont go in reverse. help!!

01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
Hello,
My friend has a 91 Explorer and he called me tongiht and his truck was stuck up against a wall and would not go in reverse. One forward. the tranny seems to engauge in reverse but you floor it and the truck wont budge. I eventually got a tow strap and with his truck in neutral pulled it back and both rear tires skidded while i was pulling. They were both locked up. the truck drives forward and i tried manually shifting all the gears and also driving in overdrive. Truck seems to still be sluggish like brakes were sticking. I felt both rear drums after we got it to his house and one was cold, the other was warmer, but nohting was extreamly hot. He told me as he drove it home his engine temp climbed higher then the 1/2 mark in the gauge and it usually does not do this. i felt his aux. tranny cooler with my hand and it was pretty hot. The truck has over 275,000 miles and he said the previous owner had the engine and tranny overhauled around 150,000 miles. the tranny fluid is brown color and has the correct amount of fluid. He also said at times while driving the truck will be slow to shift and hang in "neutral" until he gets off the gas and lets it engauge.

Sorry this is so long. Any suggestions would be appriciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry to say mine did same thing i had to pull out with a truck to then i drove it foward and when came to a stop it would lock up and die it ended up being my tranney so i swaped it out and it was fine. i pulled of the diffrential cover to check rear end it was fine ur might be diffrent problem hopefully. jack it up see if tires spin in reverse if not dissocnect drive shaft and try spinning them by hand if u can probly tranney good luck man

The vehicle has 4x4 but it does not work. i will check rear end and rear brakes. if its the tranny i think its time ofr him to ditch this truck it has a ton of rust, and a ton of miles...

mabye also dissconnect driveline and put in 4 and see if it will go in reverse then just running it on the front end that might be a simpler way to c

Hello

I have I think the sale problem

Today it the car didn't go back when I switched it reverse, but It also seems that the reverse was engaged ( because of the decrease of the rotation of engine )

I called a tow truck, I took it to neutral to tow the car to the truck from back, but it has stucked

However it let's to go forward but no reverse, and no reverse in neutral

Im really afraid.........

Back