• Register Today It's free!

91 X EB, A4LD TV cable adjustment

Damone Moore

Reaction score
City, State
Inkster, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello everyone. I have a quick question. I have a 91 X EB, A4LD, and I noticed that the TV cable next to the throttle cable has a significant amount of slack in it, and I believe is the culprit behind why the truck is shifting very soon in first and second gear. How do I tighten the TV cable for this model? I can't find any pics in this forum with cables in the location that mine are in. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated... Damone.

IMG_20190228_140854.jpg

IMG_20190228_140916.jpg

The part with the base under the hood has a release button. You press this button while pulling on the assembly. After it's completely extended, you go into the vehicle, step down on the accelerator pedal, then listen to the sound of plastic notches clicking (similar to the sound when you pull on a wire/cable tie). The cable is now adjusted.

Correct, the kick down cable has an adjuster at the firewall, engine side of things. It is a black housing with a grey button and is self adjusting. So you press the button pull the cable housing all the way out, then when you depress the throttle pedal SHOULD hear it click click click as it adjusts and locks into its new position.
Also to remove excess slack from the kick down cable and throttle cables you can use some zip ties or led pinch style fishing weights on the cables at the top of your throttle pedal

Thanks 410 Fortune. Preciate the info and the extra tip.

Back