1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

'91 XLT 4wd not engaging

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Thallarsen, September 24, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Thallarsen

Thallarsen Active Member

City, State:
      Potomac, Maryland
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '99 5.0 Limited AWD
      I've heard that this is a somewhat common problem with older Explorers:
      The 4wd has stopped engaging at the transfer case when I push the 4wd button.
      I can hear the relay clicking in the rear driver's side compartment just behind the back wheelwell, but no "clunking" at the transfer case; and the light doesn't come on.
      Is there a common symptom to check?
      Thanks.
      J.P.
      thallarsen@aol.com

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
    4. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      It is one of two things:
      1. One or both of your auto hubs are shot. If you still have auto hubs, throw them in the trash and convert to manual. You can do a search for this. The auto hubs are not only useless but they will fail on you when you need them most.

2. Your shift motor needs a rebuild. You can search on this too. VERY COMMON problem. I have rebuilt about 4 of them, all work perfect, cost nothing to rebuild (clean)
      This is most likely your problem since you siad you push it, it you hear a relay click over (Electronic shift control box) and then it clicks back.

Warn manual hubs: about $80-120
      Manual hub spindle nut/lock washer kit: $20

You can also go to the junk yard and pull the parts you need to save some $$$$$$$.

Good luck!!

5. Opera House

Opera House Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      2014 Explorer 3.5L base
      Motor switch assembly

My 92 had this problem and I removed the cover on transfer case motor. Found chunks of what I thought to be nylon gear. Then found out that it was actually dried grease. You could crush it with a screwdriver and it would turn to powder. Cleaned switchplate and lubricated it with some silicone grease. Before taking off cover, notch cover and housing so it goes back in the same spot. Cover has those security torx screws. I just ground a slot with a Dremel tool. If computer can't figure out where it is, it will refuse to do anything. Computer is over the drivers side rear wheel and has a button that you press and a red LED lights up for a self test. Something to do if you are bored. This process has worked for a couple of people I told it to.

6. PekingMan

PekingMan Active Member

City, State:
      Tempe, Arizona
      1993 XLT 4x4

I wish that all it cost! I am in the process of converting mine to manual hubs as wells as some other things and I wish they are that cheap. I found the www.truckperformance.com has the best prices for the conversion and its $180 for the hubs and conversion kit and that it the absolute cheapest I found. 410Fortune, did you find a place that sells them cheaper?

7. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      WEll there is cheap, and then there is cheaper.

There is a junk yard here in town who has a box full of them, used for like $10 each so that is cheap.

I believe when I got mine from 4wheelparts they were like $85 for the Warn's, of course I dont have my receipt here in front of me so I am going from memory.

They are worth every penny! I suggest getting the spindle nuts at least from a junk yard, buying new one's is just a waste of $$$$$ unless you have no other options. I have a collection of hubs and spindle nuts......