Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

91 XLT 4X4 automatic lost forward gears

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by bbink, October 5, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bbink

bbink New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, ga
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1991 Explorer 4X4 XLT
      I have a 1991 XLT 4X4 with 225k. Had the trans rebuilt at 195k and its been fine till this week. While taking off from a light felt/heard a thunk and thought the rear end went until I discovered that I still had reverse. Had the truck towed to the trans shop but they are estimating $1,000 in labor to tear it down to find out what's wrong and then reinstall. Plus parts of course. Since the warranty on the rebuild was 12 mo or 12k they won't do anything since it's almost 2 years since the rebuild. I decided I'm going to take the transfer case and trans out myself and am debating taking it apart to see what may have broken. Trans shop mentioned that it might be the planetary gears. Anyone out there ever have this problem? Any trans tips are greatly appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      at only 30k? that seems like it is the trans shops fualt or you cant drive worth a darn

4. 92KENNEY

92KENNEY Member

City, State:
      schaumburg, il
      92 xlt
      im gonna take it that you do a lot of stop and go seeings that your rebuild only lasted 30k, i just got through with the same/but different prob. i got finished with a job interview and started heading home when i noticed my 92 xlt auto was red lining at only 40 mph in o.d., unfortunatly i had to force my x the 20 mile journey home, and when i did i put it in park and let off the brake but my x was still moving forward i was getting a lil close to a roommates, car so i figured to back it up(good thing i didnt hit the gas too hard) and x kept going forward and went plate to plate with my roomies s10. which really annoyed me cause my x only has 130k and the tranny overhaul i payed for was done about 35k ago. so i get the s10 out of my way and put my x up on jack stands gutted the tranny and saw just how crappy a job the last overhaul was, the mechanics that did it beat the hell out of my fly wheel, they used some copper pipes for my spacers(which they hand bent and kinked), and they left the old bushings in needless to say i spent some cash cuase most my gears were close to toothless. i took the spacers bushoings and flywheel back to the tranny shop i went to and got a full refund the funny thing was the cashier had the balls to ask me if i would be bringing my x back to them for the overhaul.

5. bbink

bbink New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, ga
      1991 Explorer 4X4 XLT
      I don't think it's my driving since the first trans went 195k. I also have a Jeep Wrangler that has 100k on the original clutch. I do a lot of stop and go driving but that shouldn't cause the problem I have with 35k on the trans. The trans shop rebuilt a couple of other friends trans and they haven't had any problems. I tried talking to the trans shop but they kept insisting that they have to cover their labor and there is no way I'm going to give them another grand.
      How difficult is it to take one of these apart? I've never done an automatic but I figure a gear or something broke and I don't really need a total rebuild.