92 4.0 explorer, engine rebuild. no power? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 4.0 explorer, engine rebuild. no power?

jamesapost

Reaction score
City, State
charleston sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer 4.0 4X
i have a 92 explorer 4x4 with lost of miles and a long story short i hydrolocked it off roading. i got a 90 ranger 4.0 engine as a doner. had the heads done at the machine shop, valve job, resurfsed, the block i did nothing to, the cylinders had fresh cros hatches on all of them, with no lips at the top of the cylinders, and pistons cleaned up with PB blaster and a tuth brush, leading me to belive that the block had been rebuilt. i put on a new oil pump, timeing chain and gear set. new harmonic balincer, new crank shaft sensor, new motocraft spak plugs, new spark plug wires, did a compresion test and on the low side is 168 psi high side 180 psi, fuel preser key on engine off= 40 psi, engine running= 35 psi, rev at 2000 rpm 40 psi.
no restrictoins in exhust. Here's the thing it seams like it has a good 20% less power than when i hydrolocked it!

im going to take the timming cover off and verify the timming is 100% corect in a few days, and put a new fuel filter on, and check the volume the fuel pump is putting out. i also did test to see if the fuel presure regulator is working properly, and i belive it is.

ps. i also crosrefnced part numbers from the 90 ranger and the 92 explorer engine and i found all the parts to be the same, cam, crank, lifters, push rods.

pleas help, if any one knows of somthing that i may have overlooked or done wrong pleas bring it to my attension. thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well.......did you find out WHYYYY you "hydrolocked" the motor....????

because that is NOT normal......

after you find out why that happend, you will more then likely find out
why the loss in power...

i sucked watter in to the engine threw the intake, hydrolocked it and bent a rod. i got another engine and rebuilt that one

i sucked watter in to the engine threw the intake, hydrolocked it and bent a rod. i got another engine and rebuilt that one

oh, ok.....and now the new one has less power...????

maybe a timing issue...???
any missing or anything like that...???

i am an ASE certified master tech. so im trying my best to help you determine
why the 20% less power...

very much sounds like a timing issue....could very much be as simple as turning
the distributor a few degrees...

:salute:

These engines have an electronically controlled ignition coil. So you can't advance/delay the timing that way.

everything i have tested is ok, on sunday im soing to take the front of the engine apart so i can verify the timming,
it dose idle a little rughf, but it always has.

i dont understand the computers maching? all the part #'s for all the sensors, crank, cam, oil pump, timing chain, lifters, rods, and so on are all the same.

These engines have an electronically controlled ignition coil. So you can't advance/delay the timing that way.

ok....i wasnt completely sure of how far back the 4.0 was crank sensored.

im i correct in saying ALL 4.0s have a crank sensor...?? (no distributor)

:salute:

Yea i think when they 1st used this engine in 1990 (?) it was already electronic ign.

On a side note i also have less power than i should an bad fuel mileage. Im no longer a practicing mech. and dont have all the resources of a shop....230k miles i bought it with a trans vac. mod. leaking into the engine- it ran like hell. I havent pulled the plugs yet but im sure it needs them as it needs everything else. However the engine runs very smooth so i have not indication that it needs plugs. climbing my mountain it lopes a little, making me think there could be an maf or map sensor issue. I cannot pull the codes the standard method because someone bypassed some melted wires and the cel is not lighting at ign. on.

spark plug wires correct?

Back