92 4.0 Explorer idle problems

92_4.0JO

Reaction score
City, State
Lakewood,CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
yes, i am a newbie to explorers.
but not to working on cars, i have restoed my 80 stang.
i havent dealt the a injected car yet, so im reaching out..lol
when you start it up its fine, then you can drive around all day.
but when you come to a stop in park, it starts to idle rough, like its misfiring then it stalls and dies.
from my exp, i was thinking maybe ignition or battery? for some reason when the electric fan comes on, it tends to do the same also
or is it IAC, MAF??
any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would probably start with some basic diagnostics: pull codes from the computer (see stickies in the EEC-IV forum), check fuel pressure (see sticky in Under the Hood forum), check for vacuum leaks, clean MAF, clean IAC, check for spark leak, check condition of spark plugs/wires.

my 91 with 171,000 will sometimes do that and I look under the hood and 4 of the vacuum lines are off on the drivers side by the rocker cover where about 6 of them meet up. There is usually a puff of smoke too and oil all over them. happens about once every 2 months. I guess you were have noticed already had that happened but as soon as I plug those lines back in it idles perfect

If you're blowing vac lines off the tree, your tranny vac modulator is most likely shot. Do you lose ATF without it coming out on the ground?

Mike

If you're blowing vac lines off the tree, your tranny vac modulator is most likely shot. Do you lose ATF without it coming out on the ground?

Mike

Geez, that's probably why it's shifting crappy! I'll check to see how the trans oil is tomorrow. I never saw any puddles so I never checked it!!! Is that an expensive/difficult part to replace?

Yes, when the vac modulator goes bad, it allows ATF to get sucked into the engine, where it burns off and you never know it's gone until you check it (before or after having shifting issues).

It's cheap ($25-50), but somewhat of a pain to access. Do a search here, there are lots of threads that walk you through it.

Best practice seems to be to remove the seats and go through the floor.

Mike

Yes, when the vac modulator goes bad, it allows ATF to get sucked into the engine, where it burns off and you never know it's gone until you check it (before or after having shifting issues).

It's cheap ($25-50), but somewhat of a pain to access. Do a search here, there are lots of threads that walk you through it.

Best practice seems to be to remove the seats and go through the floor.

Mike

I picked one up today from Autozone. It was only 17.99. It's not possible to replace it from under the vehicle?

From what I've read, it is possible to get at from underneath. It seems that, as Mike noted, the concensus here is that it is easier to get at from above through the access panel in the floor than to reach around the transmission between the transmission and the exhaust to access it.

Mabye, if you have a lift, doing it from under the truck is easier. When I did mine, I tried to go in from under (with the truck on ramps), I could barely even see the stupid thing. It comes out of the side of the tranny, but toward the top, and as mentioned, the exhaust is really in the way. I tried to reach it, but could just about get a hand on it, with absolutely no room to maneuver.

Going through the floor, the job took about a half-day. I stretched it into a whole day, but dropping that little pin, taking extra time because I hadn't done it before, etc.

Some folks have reported getting it done at a tranny shop for under $100. I would definitely go that route if I had a place around here that I could trust.

Mike

Back